Question

Tutor
tkivlin
Message 1 of 9 (5,998 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP c309g not finding any wireless networks

Hi,

I have bought an HP Photosmart Premium All-in-one c309g (the one I have is the second as the first had the same problem and I sent it back for a replacement, but now I'm wondering if I could possibly have two faulty models in a row?)

Anyway, my router is an Orange Livebox (Inventel), running firmware v5.10.7-uk. I know the SSID and the key, but the problem I have is that when running the Wireless Setup Wizard, it just sits there on 'Now searching for wireless routers...' (the progress bar is moving, so I assume it's actually trying). Therefore, my initial thought before was that it couldn't be a problem with my router, as the printer wasn't picking up any of the six other WLANs my laptop picks up in my front room. However, I've checked and all the WLANs I see on my laptop are 802.11g networks, which led me to my next thought...

... is the printer using an 802.11n wireless adapter? The livebox I have is only 802.11b/g (I think, unsurprisingly Orange documentation is awful and I can't find the information out in the admin pages - picked this up from the web, however it could just be 'b'). However, shouldn't the 'n' adapter still be able to pick up 'g' networks (part of the standard?)

Any help would be appreciated, I can't believe that I have two faulty devices in a row!

Cheers,

TK

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 9 (5,997 Views)

Re: HP c309g not finding any wireless networks

Its your rented router.  They are a pain.

Often DSL providers have more control over the router than the printer likes.

- Unplug the telephone line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the router.
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- On that screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know, use the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Finally, plug in the phone line, reboot the router and test.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
tkivlin
Message 3 of 9 (5,989 Views)

Hi Printdoc,

Yeah, tried that. However, I'm unable to "Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the router" as it doesn't even find the SSID, that's the problem.

I've just got off the phone with Orange, and they've confirmed that don't offer an 'n' router, so I'm going to get an ADSL router from work and test it (luckily I'm in IT, so have stuff like that to hand!).

Cheers,

TK

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 9 (5,983 Views)

Perhaps an even better option would be to go get an inexpensive g or g/n router to put 'on top' of the Orange box.  Shut off the wireless signal from the Orange box, using it essentially as a modem and run your entire home network through your own router.

I have seen Linksys n routers for under $50US.  Its a good way to go to have something reliable, secure (WEP is not in the least secure) and controllable to your liking.

I am employed by HP
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 5 of 9 (5,974 Views)

Also, have you run a Wireless Network Test on the printer to make sure it does not have a problem? Go to Setup>Network>Run Wireless Network Test to run this test. The printer will print a page with the results on it.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
tkivlin
Message 6 of 9 (5,960 Views)

Yep, tried that and as before it just says 'Radio not functioning, please contact HP Support' (I can't believe I've been sent two duff printers). Given I have plenty of knowledge of how rubbish they are, I thought I'd try the community first, as you're all generally much more knowledgable, polite, helpful and generally better.

I will try it out with an 'n' router on 2.4GHz and post the results.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 9 (5,955 Views)

Oh!  Reset your printer by turning it off, unplugging power from the back for 30 seconds, plug back in and turn on.  Next, go to Setup > Network > Reset Network Defaults.  Finally, in the same Network area, make sure the wireless radio is on (maybe turn it off and back on again).

Now, run the WIreless Network Test again.  If it still says failed, then it is probably a bad unit.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
tkivlin
Message 8 of 9 (5,934 Views)

Or it's an 'n' radio and I have a b/g WAP...

I've done all the different resets that HP support asked me to do last time this happened (semi-partial-full etc) and none of that worked. I'm using the wired connection at the moment, which is fine until I get an 'n' router.

Cheers for everyone's contribution, but no 'solution' this time.

Tutor
tkivlin
Message 9 of 9 (5,930 Views)

I was wrong - I've got it working at last!! Nothing to do with my router at all!!

Basically, I connected the printer up on a wired connection and browsed to the web interface. There I found some extra configuration settings that weren't available via the USB connection or on the device's LCD interface. Specifically, in the 'Wireless (802.11) Interface' setting page (http://printerIP/index.htm?cat=network&page=wirelessAdv), on the 'Advanced' tab, there is a tick-box that allows the radio to operate in 'b' mode ( In an infrastructure network use 802.11b behavior.) I enabled the wireless radio, ticked this box, clicked 'Apply' then disconnected the ethernet cable and hey-presto, a working wireless printer!! I can now run through all the configuration settings that are documented, and it's connected.

If anyone who works for HP is reading this, perhaps an update of the documentation (both paper and online) to discuss this 'advanced' feature of allowing 'b' compatibility with an 'n' radio would be very useful for the millions of us who haven't bought an 'n' router yet :smileywink:

Thanks again for the contributions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation