HP c6390 - Printer disconnected! (881 Views)
Honor Student
laradenise
Message 1 of 5 (881 Views)

HP c6390 - Printer disconnected!

I have had this wireless printer for about a year and it rarely works for me (wireless printing).  The printer shows as "ready" and the Network Wireless Test Report shows that there are no problems found and that it is connected to my wireless network but when I print it indicates that the printer is disconnected. 

I am using Windows xp.

I tried running the home network diagnostic utility but when I get to the screen where I am to select my printer it does not show and indicates that there is no printer connected.

I am really frustrated with this printer...  any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 5 (866 Views)

Re: HP c6390 - Printer disconnected!

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
laradenise
Message 3 of 5 (861 Views)

Hi PrintDoc ~ thank you for the reply...

the router brand is linksys, the encryption type is WPA and the ISP is cable... 

Honor Student
laradenise
Message 4 of 5 (860 Views)

I am wondering if the IP address is wrong... I saw another post (of yours I believe) with a website for printer trouble.  It said that if the IP listed starts with 169.....  then it is probably not connected... so even though the report says that it is successfully connected I'm wondering if this is the problem.. and if so I have no idea how to fix it...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 5 (827 Views)

OK, on the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard.  Follow the instructions to identify your network and enter your password.

Print a WIreless Network Test from the same Network menu.  Note the printer's IP address.

Now, let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 192.168.1.100 to .149.  Let choose 192.168.1.200 for your printer's IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation