Question

Tutor
afternoonhandym
Message 1 of 6 (1,232 Views)

HP officejet 4500 power save mode lockup

HP Officejet 4500 connected via USB, MS XP SP3 OS.

Power Save Mode displayed on front panel. Unable to print from computer, change modes to manually copy or fax. pressing "power" "Start" or Mode select buttons have no effect. Requires unplug/plug-in of power to use.  Also, After 3 uninstall/re-install cycles of the download from your drivers center, (OJ4500vG510n-z_FULL_13_en), installation repeatedly fails during "installing printer" after being prompted to connect the USB.

Intern
Mark_HP
Message 2 of 6 (1,222 Views)

Re: HP officejet 4500 power save mode lockup

Hi afternoonhandym,

I would recommend making sure your printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and also turn off the wireless radio if you are not currently using it.

If that does not resolve your issue you may want to contact our technical support department directly as your printer may need servicing.

If you are in the US you reach them at 1-800-HPINVENT(474-6836)

If you are outside of the US check here for the appropriate number - http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Though I may work for HP, my opinion is my own.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
Tutor
afternoonhandym
Message 3 of 6 (1,217 Views)

This is a brand new printer, and from what I have read, these 2 issues seems to be commonplace since production started. How long does it take HP to solve a sortware/firmware problem?

(BTW, I used to calibrate HP Rf & Microwave test equipment. Fantastic products.)

Intern
98Cougar
Message 4 of 6 (1,210 Views)

You may want to check this post... May help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/OfficeJet-4500/m-p/585875/highlight/tr...

Please reply with results.
--
I am an HP employee.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
Top Student
Soulboy
Message 5 of 6 (983 Views)

This is a known problem with the OJ 4500 that has been going on since 2010 with a promised firmware fix but nothing has come forth.

Please note - there is no option to turn off the Power Save on the 4500 as suggested.

The time in seconds of when the Power Save will kick can be changed in the hidden system menu (default is 1800), suggest set to maximum of 9999. On no account set it to 0 as some solutions suggests, this just puts the printer into permanent Power Save.

However if you don't use the printer it will still go into the Power Save mode at some point.

Student
Pauloosting
Message 6 of 6 (872 Views)

How do I keep this from going into powersave mode?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation