Question

Honor Student
JayneMoodie
Message 1 of 39 (23,032 Views)

HP officejet J4680 wireless problems

My wireless printer will work 1 time. If I turn the printer off, come back a few hours later to print again after turning it back on, printer doesn't work. I have to reboot laptop and start process all over again. I have windows vista, have called HP and they tried over the phone for 2 hours to fix the problem. They think it is a windows issue. Please help. thanks
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 39 (22,992 Views)

Re: HP officejet J4680 wireless problems

What type of wireless-router are you using?

Once you get everything working, write down the IP address of the printer and the laptop.  Turn off the printer for a few hours, turn it on and see if the printer was assigned the same IP address.  Do the same with the laptop -- note the IP address, turn it off and then turn it on again a few hours later and see if the laptop was assigned the same IP address.

If the laptop or printer are getting a different IP address, you should set a DHCP reservation for the laptop's and printer's IP address in your wireless-router.  If your wireless-router doesn't support DHCP reservations, try extending the DHCP lease time to a period much longer than the expected time that your printer and laptop are off.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
JayneMoodie
Message 3 of 39 (22,953 Views)

Hi Jim, thanks for replying. I don't have a wireless router. They told me it would work without one. I am connected to cable. Jayne
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 39 (22,842 Views)

Hi Jayne,

Yes, you can setup a wireless connection to your printer without a wireless-router (it's called an Ad-Hoc wireless network).

When you turn off the printer then turn it back on again later, can you browse the printer's internal web page?  If you can, then we know that the wireless connection is working.

To browse the printer's internal web page, enter the printer's IP address in the browser's address bar.  You can find the printer's IP address by printing out the network configuration page.

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Student
PeterPetersen
Message 5 of 39 (20,490 Views)

Hi,

I have wireless problems with the J4680, as well.

I set it up with my laptop, the wireless is on, I can access the "printer's webpage" with the IP address from the report, it says working - when my wife prints from her laptop, it works wirelessly.

But as soon as I take the cable off my computer (Windows XP), the printer status is "offline" and I cannot print.

Why is that, how can I change it?

Maybe if have to go to the printer's properties and change the connection from "virtual USB003" to something else?

I hope, someone can help me there, thank you very much in advance!

Speaking of properties, is there any way to set it as default that the printing is on "fast and ink saving" instead on "normal"? I even set it on that in the properties, but as soon as I want to print something, it switches back to "normal". I guess that is wanted by HP to make lazy people use off more ink, but I really would like to have that changed.

Thanks!

Peter

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 39 (20,446 Views)

It sounds like you have two computers -- one connected via USB to the J4680 and another laptop connected wirelessly to the J4680.

Is the computer connected via USB on the same network as the J4680?  If so, you'll need to run the installation SW again to install a wireless instance of the J4680.  You won't need the USB cable -- so leave it disconnected when you run the SW installer.

Finally, after you've installed the wireless printer on your computer, you may want to delete the old USB printer icon in the printer folder. 

Top Student
dheck1961
Message 7 of 39 (18,564 Views)

There is a fix posted that is titled:  

Critical Update to Correct a PC to Printer Communication Issue

This update corrects an issue that can cause your computer to lose the connection with your printer, which may result in incomplete print jobs and loss of printer status messaging

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-69032-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Student
demanxbox
Message 8 of 39 (15,066 Views)

Yeah hi i have a problem connecting the same printer hp officejet j4680 all in one to my laptop i have drivers installed but i cant find the signal when i look for devices wirelessly the wireless thing on the printer is on and i have a connection to the internet please help

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 39 (15,035 Views)

I assume you are trying to connect your printer to a router?   Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

Also, what operating system?

I am employed by HP
Intern
Ron6962
Message 10 of 39 (11,620 Views)

HP Officejet J4680 wireless problem

I'm sorry if I'm asking for repeated advice, but so far I haven't been able to find a solution.

I have a new HP Officejet J4680 AIO wireless printer, a Dell desktop, a Dell laptop (both XP), and a LinkSys wireless router.  The desktop is wired to the router.  I installed the J4680 on my desktop, as a wireless printer, with no problems, and it works A-OK there.  I tried to install it on my laptop, and the printer is not found.  I ran the HP Network Diagnostic Utility. and it does not find a printer.  I also tried accessing the IP address of the printer (192.168.1.118) from a browser, and nothing there either.  I've exhausted my knowledge of wireless printer insatallation on a home network.

Additional info.....I also have a HP Officejet 5610 AIO connected to the desktop vis USB, andd the laptop via thewireless  network.  It works A-OK on both computers.

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation