Question

Top Student
VA55
Message 1 of 15 (5,724 Views)

HP officejet pro 8600 plus

After I install  Officejet pro 8600 plus printer wireless to my Windows 7 IBM laptop the printer goes offline and i can't print anything to it. I've tried all the diagnostic tools from hardware, printer etc and either they say it is connect correctly or please go to the HP Help Center.  I also installed the same printer to my home desktop computer (windows vista) same router layout, and it works wondefully. Suggestions?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 15 (5,721 Views)

Re: HP officejet pro 8600 plus

Hi,

As the printer correctly operated through your 2nd pc, I would mostly suspect any firewall program running on your PC blocking the communbication with the device.

Please perform the test using the network diagnostics utility and check for any blocked communication:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL34869/mp-96434-1/HPHNDU.exe

Once completing the test, click the Advanced tools button, then click Show Detected Firewalls..

Which security programs being identified by the tool?

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
VA55
Message 3 of 15 (5,691 Views)

With this laptop it is connected to a 2nd router. How do you make t his setup work. The printer is connected to the 1st router. WHen I run the Network diagnostic The printer is not detected on the network. Yet when I look at the printer's screen it says it's connected and shows an IP address.

Teacher
--HJ--
Message 4 of 15 (5,686 Views)

Hmm.. it sounds like your laptop and printer are in two different network.. In your laptop, go to Start Menu > All Programs > HP > HP Officejet Pro 8600 > Update IP address and key in your printer's IP address. Does the SW detect your printer?

If not, can you connect your laptop to the same router as the printer and do that again?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though I work for HP, I'm speaking for myself and not HP. I'm just trying to help with my limited knowledge
**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.**
Top Student
VA55
Message 5 of 15 (5,681 Views)

Could I hook the laptop wired through the ethernet and leave my desktop wireless?

Teacher
--HJ--
Message 6 of 15 (5,679 Views)

If your router support both wireless and wired connection, it should work. Let me know if it doesn't

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though I work for HP, I'm speaking for myself and not HP. I'm just trying to help with my limited knowledge
**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.**
Top Student
VA55
Message 7 of 15 (5,675 Views)

Ok - I got everything hooked up through the same router. My desktop (XP) works just fine. But my laptop Windows 7 still doesnt. I went through the steps like you mentioned but in the new IP address - it said it was successful & I saved it. It still won't print.

I see it says it is offline why?

When I go to device and printers, right click on printer - print properties - ports it doesn't show it is hooked up to any ports could this be a issue?

Teacher
--HJ--
Message 8 of 15 (5,673 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, it is strange that the printer is not hooked up to any port.

Can you remove the officejet pro 8600 printer icon on your laptop? (right click on the icon and select remove device). Then go to Start Menu > All Programs > HP > HP Officejet Pro 8600 > Printer Setup & Software. Then select "connect new printer" and follow the onscreen instruction.

Top Student
VA55
Message 9 of 15 (5,653 Views)

I've deleted printer - reinstalled

I've ran network utility - successful - no problems ran test print did not print.

Ran printer utility - restarted computer, printer - It say device is offline - did not fix.

Looked again there is no port  designated for the printer.

Teacher
--HJ--
Message 10 of 15 (5,651 Views)

In your laptop's port list, do you see a port name that is the same as the serial number of your printer? If yes, can you select it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation