Question

Honor Student
hurst01
Message 1 of 4 (4,226 Views)

HP printing with AirPort Extreme

[ Edited ]

I have a imac with Intel, OSX 10.6.  I am using a HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One printer, and have been for a few years and it has worked extremely well.  Earlier this year my old airport extreme went bad and I purchased the latest one.  It has the latest updates available.  When I got the new Airport Extreme the directions said to plug the printer via USB cable into the Airport.  I have been through the system preferences, deleted and added the printer, went through the manual set-up for the Airport Extreme, rebooted everything and it will NOT print.  The Airport Utilities recognizes the printer and it tries to print and stops giving me a message of "Printer Paused", or printer offline.  When I hit "resume", the printer cycles a bit and them goes to "Printer Paused" again.  Everything worked great until I purchased the new Airport Extreme.

The printer works excellent when plugged into the back of my imac, however, it does not make my wife happy because she can't print from her laptop.  My Son brought a friend home with him for the weekend that is a Software Engineer.  He downloaded software and drivers and installed them and he could not get it to print with the USB cable plugged into the Airport either.  He worked with it for 4 hours.  The HP printer just will not communicate with the Airport.  I have also been getting a message this evening that one of my ink cartridges has expired.  I can shake it and it appears to be almost full.  I opened a new one and get the same message that it is expired.  I have had the new one for several months though because I hate running out of ink.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (4,199 Views)

Re: HP printing with AirPort Extreme

Why are you plugging the printer into the Airport with USB?  This is a wireless printer!  Plus, Airport USB only supports printing, not scanning.

From the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Restore Network Defaults.  Now, from that same Network menu run the Wireless Setup WIzard.

Now that the printer is wirelessly connected to your Airport, let's work on the Mac:

Did you load software onto your Mac from the printer CD?  If so, did it say it was specifically for 10.6?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
hurst01
Message 3 of 4 (4,195 Views)

I am not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to setting this stuff up.  I was hooking the printer up to the Airport Extreme because the set-up instructions said to.  When the software engineer was here, he could not get the wireless on the printer to find the Airport Extreme.  The kid is pretty sharp but was under a lot of pressure to get done so that he and my Son could get on the road.  He wasn't expecting to get into the hassles of setting this up.

This is probably mostly because of the name I have given to the Extreme being too long and not remembering, or KNOWING anything about this.  I have given the Extreme one name and the network another.  I don't know where the set-up instructions are and he was trying to guess.  I just tried doing as you said to make the printer wireless but failed for the same reasons he did.  I got a message to go back and check the set-up.  I am not sure what I am supposed to check for.   I guess I will have to change some of the set-up information on the router as far as naming the router and network.

When I got this pinter I did not have v.10.6 on the imac at the time.  However, when I downloaded the software from HP, it was for 10.6 and 10.7.   I just a few minutes ago got the printer to work with the USB cable plugged into the computer, actually a USB hub.  Just a few minutes after i got the printer working by hooking it to the USB hub, a software update popped up for a HP printer update.  For a bit of information, I have had problems with concentration since several war injuries in Viet Nam and I get lost easily.  I don't mean to use this as an excuse, just explaining that I will be a bit slow following you.  I was a Senior Radio Repairman and Communications Chief in the Army and head of the Crypto Center.  Now I feel like a lost ball in high weeds.  I can still work things out by reasoning to an extent, but sometimes it is very frustrating, so I ask that you bear with me.

Ed

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 4 (4,187 Views)

Let's work on your Airport so that the printer can find it and connect to it wirelessly.

1. Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities and open Airport Utility

2. Click once on your Airport on the left and then Manual Setup along the bottom

3. Navigate to the Wireless tab

4. Select 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g as the Radio Mode

5. Here you can change your network name (the Airport's name does not matter) and its password.  I recommend WPA/WPA2 and a long 12+ character password.

6. Click on Wireless Network Options and make sure you do not have Create a closed network checked (this hides the network name). Click Done

7. Click Update.

If you made any changes in step #5 you will have to re-login with all of your wireless devices, but the printer should now find your Airport.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation