Question
HP4500 officejet wireless -ASLEEP- Power Save Mode
Replies (96)

Tutor
brockel2
Message 61 of 97 (2,613 Views)

Re: HP4500 officejet wireless -ASLEEP- Power Save Mode

The customer service is really poor.  I gave up and bought a Cannon,,,no more HP for me!

Student
jojobears
Message 62 of 97 (2,563 Views)

Re: HAPPEN officejet wireless -ASLEEP- Power Save Mode

Well after reading and going through the internet to find out how to get this printer off of safe mode I found the solution on my own and it is easy.  I just hit the right arrow button next to the OK button and BOOM it is on --hope it works for everyone else and if it does HP can send me a nice check for doing the work for them  100,000 would get me out of many debts

Jojobears

Honor Student
drawbars
Message 63 of 97 (2,538 Views)

Epilogue ...

Changing the timeout to 5000 'seconds' is better, but not perfect, as the printer is no longer getting much use.  (My son is no longer applying to schools, and I've replaced my other HP printer -- which is a whoooole 'nuther story!)  At a setting of 5000, the printer is OK with printing every 2-3 days, but not less activity.

Timeout = 1800 --> print every day is OK

Timeout = 5000 --> print every 2-3 days is OK

Timeout = 9000 --> print once a week ???

We'll see ...

Top Student
ThomasEakinsART
Message 64 of 97 (2,331 Views)

I purchased an HP 4500 officejet wirelss fax machine/printer/scanner in Sept. 2011.

I followed the set up procedures and it ran beautifully for the first couple of weeks. I even ready the on-line reviews and thought I stood a greater chance of getting a good product than a lemon.

However, after a few weeks, the printer would not wake from power save mode. When I turned the machine on/off, it seemed to fix it for a few days, but then the problem resurfaced.

I checked for on-line forums to see if anyone else was having this issue and came across this site. I then contacted HP with my problems and recieved a work around from an HP technician to reduce the timeout to 0.

That worked for a few days, but now even turning the device on/off, it still will not wake from power save mode. So, my last resort was to ask HP for a full refund.

HP Techinical Support

I spoke with an agent by the name of Chris in the Phillipines and she was very helpful in opening my case.

I must still wait 24 - 48 hours for the case to be reviewed before a full refund can be issued, but I do not see how it can be refused.

When the machine worked, it was great and I am sorry to have run into this issue, but being able to send/receive faxes so that my business can function properly is more important than brand loyalty.

I am sorry to say good bye to HP and I do with them the best in future endeavours.

(I hope I do not run into similar problems with another company)

Top Student
ThomasEakinsART
Message 65 of 97 (2,210 Views)

I spoke with tech support and reluctantly agreed to ship the device back to them as they refuse to refund the cost of the defective device.

Case Manager Erik T. was very helpful in opening my ticket and having my case reviewed. However, he was not in when I returned his call.

Erik T.
Case Manager
HP AMS TCO Escalations Team
Tel: 1-877-917-4380 ext. 07

Since they will not issue a refund for a known defect, my only option is to buy a new fax machine while HP repairs this one...

If anyone is reading this post before purchasing an HP device, try another maker first. My next device will be manufactured by Brother.

But if anyone wants to open a class action, count me in.
Tutor
brockel2
Message 66 of 97 (2,206 Views)

They will mail you a replacement unit, but it is not a new unit...a refurbished unit,,,and it has the same problem!

Top Student
ThomasEakinsART
Message 67 of 97 (2,201 Views)

Just our luck... Don't they realize we do not have the time to be jerked around like this?

I am documenting everything. All I need now is a device to record phone conversations... provided that I let them know the conversation is being recorded.
Tutor
lboule
Message 68 of 97 (2,196 Views)

I am living witht the problem still. The new unit they sent has the same problem but not quite as fast to go into sleep mode. I would never buy another HP printer. The know about the problem and don't care to fix it.

Student
Roseg
Message 69 of 97 (2,044 Views)

My printer is stuck in power save.  I have tried pressing one, #6, #9, keeping it off for long periods of time.  I have only owned it for little less than 2 months.  I can't take it back due to store policy.  Can anyone help?

Student
Brett61
Message 70 of 97 (2,025 Views)

Re: HAPPEN officejet wireless -ASLEEP- Power Save Mode

What a shame, the 4500 is really a decent all-in-one, except for the “power-save” issue.  The Right Arrow Key took mine out of sleep mode as well; not the greatest “fix”, not a “fix” at all actually, but it’s better than having to unplug the stupid thing every time.  HP’s customer service is about as bad as any I’ve ever encountered.  Will make me think twice next time I’m in the market for an all-in-one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation