Question

Honor Student
EWH44
Message 1 of 6 (326 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP6180 All in One Printer

Three Windows 7 laptops are connected wirelessly to this printer.  Occassionally the printer has gone off line and this has been resolved by restarting the computer or the printer or both. 

Now however, all three show the printer off line and restarting hardware does not resolve the issue.  The wireless connection and access to the internett is ok.  The printer shows a wireless connection. 

What might be the issue and resolution

EWH44

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (304 Views)

Re: HP6180 All in One Printer

What brand/model router?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
EWH44
Message 3 of 6 (298 Views)

Provided by ATT Uverse.  I'm at the office now so can't actually look now.  The name of the network is 2WIRE178 whic was the default name from the router.  I'll have to look at the actual model/brand later.

Thanks

EWH44

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 6 (296 Views)

Let's start with setting a static (non-changing) IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can change the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
EWH44
Message 5 of 6 (281 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion about the static IP address.  This printer has a static IP address  which was established some time ago. 

I deleted the printer from one computer, then tried to add the printer using the wizard.  It did not detect the printer making me think the printer is not recognized on the network.  I have added the printer to the network by using the printer wizard.  It detects the network and asked for the keycode which I entered and then displayed success.   Yet the printer is not seen on the network by the computer.

Could this have something to do with security.  The router is a WPA-2 personal  security.  Would this printer not be able to recognize that?  The router is new and the previous router may have had a WEP configuration.  although the printer worked with the new router initially.   Very confusing.  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 6 (277 Views)

It should recognize WPA2, but you could back off to WPA and see if it changes things.

Part of the process I outlined of how to set a static IP included pointing the printer to the gateway and DNS.  If you simply set a static IP in the router or something, it may not be able to find it (this has to do with the commands and firmware sent from the ISP).

If you want to fix this problem dead, get your own standard router and put it in line with the ISP's and turn the ISP wifi off.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation