Question

Tutor
megabyte
Message 1 of 9 (2,951 Views)

HP6500 Wireless Installation

Hello. I have a new HP 6500 printer. Right now, I primarily use this printer with a laptop running Windows XP SP3. I have installed the printer using the USB cable. The installation went ok and the printer is working ok. However, occasionally, I need to use this same laptop remotely using a wireless connection. When I attempted to re-install the same printer using the wireless setup on the installation CD, I ran into problems.  The installation software installed another printer (HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series Copy 1) with a wireless connection. However, this installation was not able to connect to my wireless network. Also, at this time, the HP Digital Imaging Monitor was re-installed. The result of this is that the monitor is looking for a wireless 6500 printer and could not find it.

What I would like to do if possible, is to use this printer on the same laptop with either a USB or wireless connection. I know I could switch over to a permanent wireless connection and use the printer that way, but I prefer not to do that because the wireless connection I have is much slower than the cable modem I usually use. It seems that the installation software allows the user to create a USB installation or a wireless installation but not both.

Is there a way to install the HP6500 using both a USB as well as a wireless connection on the same laptop? 

Thanks,

Tony

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 9 (2,944 Views)

Re: HP6500 Wireless Installation

Yes you can use both.  Here is a good way to install it for that operation:

1. Delete all of the instances of this printer in your list of printers.

2. Install for USB.

Now, on the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard.  Connect to your wireless network on the front panel.

Go back to your PC and 'Add a Printer' in the printer area like this:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's host name (found on the printer's network configuration report the generated above). Click Next.
If you get a message about Additional Port Information Required, then the printer was not found using the host name. You can go back and retry or using the printer's IP address instead of the host name.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Make a choice and click Next.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
megabyte
Message 3 of 9 (2,934 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I may try that method. In the meantime, I decided to connect to the printer using a wireless connection only. Instead of setting up 2 instances of the printer, I have 2 internet connections, 1 wireless and the other ethernet. WIthin each connection's property screen there is a TCP/IP setting in the advanced menu called interface metric. You can set a priority number for each connection so that the connection with the higher priorty number will take precedence over the lower priorty connection. So in this case, I assigned the wired ethernet connection to the higher priority and the lower priority went to the wireless connection. So far, it seems to be working ok. Thanks again for the assistance.

Tony

Student
cace2002
Message 4 of 9 (2,867 Views)

Q: I  already have the Wireless installed for my 6500 on my laptop... Can I install the USB withOUT having to delete it (wireless instance) first ? Just plug in the USB connection, correct? 

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Tutor
megabyte
Message 5 of 9 (2,863 Views)

Yes you can. Disable your radio on the printer and connect your USB cable. Once your system recognizes your printer, then click on Printers and Faxes in the Control Panel. Under File, click on Add Printer and follow the prompts. You should end up with 2 printers listed. They wil both be the same name. I renamed one of mine Wireless to distinguish it from the USB connection. Then, all you have to do is to select one as your default printer. If you decide to use wireless as your default printer, then remember to turn your wireless radio on in the printer.

Good luck   

Student
aboaeoob
Message 6 of 9 (1,936 Views)

hi

Hello. I have a new HP 6500 printer. Right now, I primarily use this printer with a laptop running Windows XP SP3. I have installed the printer using the USB cable. The installation went ok and the printer is working ok. However, occasionally, I need to use this same laptop remotely using a wireless connection. When I attempted to re-install the same printer using the wireless setup on the installation CD, I ran into problems.  The installation software installed another printer (HP Officejet 6500 En Series Copy 1) with a wireless connection. However, this installation was not able to connect to my wireless network. Also, at this time, the HP Digital

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 9 (1,890 Views)

[ Edited ]

Is the printer connected to your wireless network?  Print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer (Network  menu) to see.  If it is not, in the same Network menu, run the Wireless Setup Wizard.

Next:

Download and run this utility:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/p...

What does it say?

I am employed by HP
Student
lotuslaura70
Message 8 of 9 (913 Views)

I don't have a wireless setup utility, I am banging my head on the wall!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 9 (900 Views)

OK, tell me what you are really looking for?  What printer?  What router?  What operating system?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation