Question

Tutor
awhq1
Message 1 of 3 (484 Views)
Accepted Solution

Help with HP Deskjet 6500 wireless connection

My HP Deskjet 6500 worked perfectly via my wireless network until I turned off my SSID Broadcast. Now the printer SAYS it is connected to the wireless network, but I cannot print to it. The printer does not even show up as being on the network.

There MUST be a way to configure it to connect to a wireless network witout SSID Broadcast turned on, since nobody who cares about their wireless security would leave their SSID Broadcast on all the time, right?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 3 (454 Views)

Re: Help with HP Deskjet 6500 wireless connection

First, disabling the SSID broadcast is not a security measure.  Freeware from the Internet can still read it.  Plus, as you have determined, your printer will not like it at all.

Read this for more info: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=43

I am employed by HP
Tutor
awhq1
Message 3 of 3 (447 Views)

Re: Help with HP Deskjet 6500 wireless connection

True, a determined person can find the SSID, but having SSID broadcast turned off prevents the casual snoop from finding my wireless network and trying to get into it. Or, put another way, having SSID turned on is an invitation to the casual snoop to try to get in. It certainly is not a "security" item to have it turned off, but there is no reason to have it turned on. Every other device I have has the option to connect to a wireless network with SSID turned off. I find it amazing that HP would design the printer without this option. I will turn SSID back on temporarily until I have time to run a hard wire connection to it. I will certainly keep this in mind when I shop for my next printer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation