How can I connect an old HP Laserjet 4050N printer to a notebook? (1767 Views)
Top Student
Magavi
Message 1 of 2 (1,767 Views)

How can I connect an old HP Laserjet 4050N printer to a notebook?

I got an old HP Laserjet 4050N from work that had been working OK, connected to my desktop PC through the parallel port, running on Windows XP. Now I have an HP notebook running on Windows 7 64-bit, which doesn’t have the parallel port anymore. Is there any way I could have the printer connected to my notebook and make it work? The printer doesn't have an USB port.

I tried through the Ethernet connection, but I couldn’t get/assign an I/P address for the printer.

Master's Graduate
Hubbs
Message 2 of 2 (1,742 Views)

Re: How can I connect an old HP Laserjet 4050N printer to a notebook?

[ Edited ]

Hi Magavi,

Ethernet is going to be the best bet at this point. There are adapters for parallel to USB, but that is one more variable that could cause issues - I would only suggest trying that if Ethernet doesn't / can't work.

I would recommend connecting the ethernet cable to the router and to your printer and then power cycling the printer (turn it off, then turn it back on).

If it still doesn't get an IP, check to make sure that the ethernet cable is working (try a known-working one and repeat the process above, or try the initial cable on another device).

If the cable is working, you can try to eliminate the router as a problem (hardware or settings) by connecting the ethernet cable from the printer directly to your computer (windows 7 will adjust the send/receive settings in the software to utilize the cable as a cross-over instead of a patch cable).

Hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation