Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It's almost like your Windows computer is telling the printer to sleep.

Try my trick and turn off SNMP...

First... you need to connect directly to the printer using "Standard TCP/IP Port"

NOTE: That means you have to first give your printer a STATIC IP ADDRESS...  that your router IS NOT using in it's DHCP range. - Please research how to assing a static ip address to a printer before proceeding here...

Right click on your HP Officejet Pro 8600 and select "Printer Properties"

Click on "Change Properties" button to make administrative changes to the printer

Go to the "Ports" tab and make sure your Printer "HP Officejet Pro 8600" is using the "Standard TCP/IP Port"

If it is already set to "Standard TCP/IP Port" select the Port and click on the "Configure Port..." button

Uncheck the SNMP Status Enabled and the printer should come online.

HP Recommended

I am, quite frankly, sick and tired of this **bleep** printer cutting off - going to sleep - making it necessary to re-boot the entire computer system!  What idot designed this crap?  HP should have enough respect for its customers to fix this disaster and send us the fix so we don't have to go through this everytime we want to print.

How dumb!

HP Recommended

1. I used to have BT Hub 3 router and the printer worked fine.

2. Then I changed to BT Fibre with a Hub 5 router and I had all the connection problems after the HP printer came out of sleep mode.

3. Since I swapped from BT to EE broadband and got a new router again (Bright Box 2) it's working fine again.

So this would suggest the problem lies more with the router than it does with the printer. I have no idea what was different about each of the routers though but my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer is working fine from sleep mode 100% of the time.

HP Recommended

This AIO has been nothing but a disappointment. First the Scanning to a Network Folder gets bricked with an OS X update, now every time I want to try and print something, I have to turn the printer off and then back on. I'm so sorry that I purchased this.

HP Recommended

Had this problem and finally solved it by searching forever...

First set printer to static IP address 

I already had this done but it did not solve the problem until I did this!

Then In Windows 7 go to Devices and Printers

Right Click The Icon for the Officejet Pro 8600 go to Printer Properties it should show the printer twice one as Fax and the other as a Printer click on the printer properties...

Go to the Ports Tab More than likely if you scroll down through the Ports you will see a check next to

HP Network Rediscovery port monitor if you do click on add port select Standard TCP/IP port then click on New Port

The add port Wizard will start click Next then enter the Static IP address of the printer 192.168.X.X whatever yours is..

Follow the rest of the steps after that then go back to the printers properties/ ports tab and make sure that the Standard TCP/IP port with the IP address that you entered for the printer has a check next to it if it does you are good if it does not check it in the box and then click apply at the bottom.  You should be good to go after that... It worked for me I kept having to turn off my printer and turn it back on now I don't...

Hopefully it works for you!

HP Recommended

So it will cost me about $200-$300 of my time and resources to configure a work aaround for a printer that should be pretty much plug and play.

Brilliant.

HP Recommended

There is no option to change printer properties.

HP Recommended
Where are you making those changes? In the devices and printers folder?

Seems like it is more of the type of router or router/printer combination.

I'll see if I can get some more attention brought to this thread from internal HP resources to bring this issue back to the forefront.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

This is a very old post so I am going to close it  out.  I don't thik there is a solution.  This has been a boil on butt for a long time.   But thanks for trying.  Sorry but I don't see a way to close it out.

HP Recommended

I have had very similar experiance with many clients and thier HP Network printers.

This is my suggestion: On your computer, log into the network printers web interface. Then go to the "Settings" and then "Schedule ON/OFF" - set it up to restart your printer every day. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.