Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In English, please..I would love to know how to do this, but I am not savvy in the inner workings...

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I am using my HP Officejet 8600 Pro with Windows 8.1..I have Arris modem and D-link wireless router..Please tell me in non-savvy terms how to fix this ASAP!!! PLEASE!!

HP Recommended

I posted my solution a few years ago when using a wired D-Link router.

When I un-ticked IVP6 every place it was possible in the router settings. The disconnect immediately stopped happening now years later it has not returned.

HP Recommended

The above solution works or I wrote a long post on how to fix this in a step-by-step process with pictures and anything else I could put into easier terms.

--Printer Will Not Respond to Touch and Network Communication is Lost--

I've read one more new solution since then where they put the printer on a scheduled on/off routine as well.

I hope this helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

My HP Officejet Pro 8600 goes to sleep so I can not print.  How to bypass sleep for this printer?

HP Recommended

Hello

After fighting a couple of days against my OfficeJet printer (8500A plus), i finally found a solution 🙂

The problems appeared  after changing my router.

So this is very clearly related to network configuration.

Symptoms:

- Impossible to print after a certain time of inactivity

- but still possible to ping the printer

- Always possible to print after rebooting the printer.

Unsuccessful attemtps:

- disable energy saving (prevent printer from sleeping)

- use static IP (instead of automatically assigned by DHCP)

- semi-full reset of printer

=> none of these attempts worked

Here is what did the trick for me (I'm on Mac-Os-X):

1. Increase DHCP lease time (from 1hour to 1day) in router config

2. Disable the KeepAlive in C.U.P.S. (=the printing framework used internally by Mac-OS-X):

sudo cupsctl KeepAlive=Yes
   => this alters the content of file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

And reboot

3. In the network config of your printer, disable the use of IPV6

=> only possible via the web console (not via the printer) !!

I did not investigate which of the three steps is important, but I have the *feeling* step 3 is the key point !

Good luck ! 

HP Recommended

this worked for me. Note that it did not say Disabled or Off. I was simply blank. prior to this it would have stated 5 Min as this is where I set it prior to the steps. Thank for this...

HP Recommended

Hi

Please could you repost the way you found to stop the printer from sleeping?

thanks

Jonathan

HP Recommended

i will try to remember this as I don't have it writtendown and can't find the post I used.

1) in setup Select preferences, Sleep Mode, select 5 minutes.

2) back out of the set up and then Press Copy

3) NOTE: once you start the next step note that when you Press the Home symbol, the symbol light goes out but you must select that same area when you need to press home again. this next part involves the Home and Back symbols

here we go: Home, Home, Back, Home, Home.     If done correctly you now select the Engineering Menu, Select the Underware Menu.

Use the left and Select  thr System Menue, and OK

Reset the to 0 (zero) seconds using the down arrow. need to press this repeatedly.

Once at 0 (Zero), use the Red X to get you back to the Normal Screen.

To check that it is disabled. Select Setup, Preferences.

Now here is where I was different than the others next to Sleep mine was Blank, Others said it said Off. The key is NOT to slect this fuction as the machine will Rest from 0 (Zero) the the 5 Minutes and you will need to do the whole process again. If you just leave it, the test is Will the Machine time out and sleep. Mine did not. I now need to manually turn it on and Off.

Sure hope this works for you as I can't be of help beyond this.

HP Recommended

I am seriously thinking of a new machine also.  This problem has cut into my productivity with some sessions lasting twice as long because I have to keep turning off the machine.  Even then it doesn't alway work.  After some 20 years as an HP customer I can no longer afford to lose the time. I wish you had fixed this problem HP. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.