Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue now but when I first got the printer it worked perfectly from Mac, iPhone or iPad. If it was in stand by mode and I sent a print job from anywhere it would wake up and do the print. Now either since I upgraded to BT infinity with a new router (Home hub 5) or since I upgraded to OS Mavericks (not sure which as they were around the same time) it won't print out of stand by unless I switch it off and on again. Very annoying! 

But something has changed in recent months as it used to work fine - but what has changed???????????????

HP Recommended

I followed the semi full reset procedure you described - my printer turned off after a few seconds and nothing has happened since?? No lights, no progress bar no noises and it's not coming back on - it's been 15 minutes now!!!

Any clues???

HP Recommended

... continuing from my previous post having selected semi full reset  .... after 20 minutes of nothing I turned it back on and went through all the standard setup options. When it got to the wireless network setup I had the option to press the "WPS" button on my router for 3 seconds then continue with the printers wireless setup WITHIN 2 MINUTES of pressing the WPS button (this is important otherwise it times out as I discovered when I got distracted to feed the cat!!) or continue with manual setup via the printer.

I did the WPS option as my router has a WPS button and this does most of it automatically (you need to select your network name from the list on the printer touchscreen). It went through to completion from here. When I printed out the wireless settings I noticed two things were different:

The IP address had changed back to the original IP address I had when I first got the printer (before I got my new router)

The configuration source was now DHCP instead of AutoIP

and EUREKA it prints from sleep mode!!!  Hooray!!!!!

As I said in my earlier post when I first set the printer up it worked fine and I noticed that the IP address and config source were the same as they are now after the semi full reset.

It was when my new router was installed and I set it up totally via the printer (without using the WPS button) that it changed the IP address and the config source to AutoIP, this must be when it stopped printing from sleep mode.

HP Recommended

I am very glad to hear you fixed it!  Thanks for some more useful feedback as well.  You have helped confirmed two very, very important things that I try to mention often when it comes to this sleep mode issue - 1. Granted the printer shouldn't have issues with router settings but you helped confirm, in this instance, it is in fact something more to do with settings in the router than with the printer.  2.  Semi-full Resets are risky and although may be a great kind of "cure all," it is still not a guaranteed fix and it could make things worse.  Thank goodness for you it eventually powered on tho.

If it happens again, however, the first step may be to make that a static IP address instead of auto DHCP.  But I wouldn't worry about it until it happens because if it "ain't broke don't fix it" 🙂 

Happy Printing!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

I think in some cases it may well be router related. My 8600 worked fine (on wired network) for months then started failing to come out of sleep - reading the forum messages triggered a thought - I had been using a Draytek router but had upgraded my link to fibre and I started using the router supplied by my fibre supplier and this is precisely when the problem started. I had manually configured the 8600's ip and when I checked on the router it did not see the 8600 as connected. Have changed the 8600 to dhcp with the ip reserved on the router. The router now sees the 8600 and so far the problem has not recurred (after 3 days). Hope this may be of help.

HP Recommended
How do you reserve the ip on the router? After my previous post the problem has re-occurred 😞
It works out of sleep mode after it's been sleeping for just a few minutes but not overnight.
HP Recommended
How do you make it a static IP address? the problem is back again!!
HP Recommended

On my router there is the option to "always use the same address for this device" so the router's dhcp server reserves the address (by assigning the address an infinite lease) whilst technically this is not assigning a static ip address it has the same end result as far as the printer is concerned but the fact that my router is handling the address via its dhcp server seems to be what resolves the standby issue. Most devices that act as dhcp servers will offer the option to "reserve" an address in some way or other although the wording used may be different. Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Have you tried setting the connection to IPv4 only? The IPv6 was the source of all my problems.

That solved all this for me

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/How-do-I-enable-keep-alive-on-HP-Office...

HP Recommended

Interestingly, I just completed the exact same workaround and it has not solved the problem.

Anyone got new ideas on this one?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.