Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In your router, turn off the IPv6 mode. In my D-Link I unchecked "Enable IPv6" as well.

The problem didn't start until I upgraded to the newer D-Link DIR-826L.  The WBR-2310 didn't have IPv6.

I did all the printer resets. I was ready to get rid of the printer as it is in a different room and became useless.

Disabling IPv6 every place I found it and things were OK and have been for many months.

HP Recommended

Hi Tom, Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, my router is shipped with IPv6 switched off, automatically debunking thaat idea in my case...

HP Recommended

This problem has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it is wireless.  And nothing to do with the router.  I have a HP All-In-One WIRELESS computer that will not work wirelessly. (I worked many hours with technical support from my internet provider and also with HP and the problem was never resolved)  So it is connected via an ethernet cable.  My HP Officejet 8600 printer is almost totally ineffective wireless so I have it connected via a USB cable.  Even though it is defaulted to the USB port I still have to have the wireless printer on the network because of another computer that my sister uses one week out of the month.   The other 3 weeks of the month when everything wireless is turned off the printer still goes to sleep and the ONLY way to wake it up is to disconnect and re-connect the power.  Something HP says not to do.  But they have no solution to the sleep problem.  FYI.  My sister's computer is a Dell All-In-One and has worked wirelessly from day one.  However, the printer sleep problem effects her also.  Also if anyone is thinking about getting stamps.com to do you on line postage, think twice if you have this printer as it will be a nightmare.  If you think postage is high now just wait until you try to print on an envelope and your printer won't wake up.  Doesn't HP read these complaints?  They want you to answer surveys but no way to tell them what you actually think of them. 

HP Recommended
Hi, set a static IP for the 8600 and Standard TCP/IP" port with the static IP address port of your printer in the Printer Properties.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

I have two solutions for this and both work for me.

1) If you have set a static IP address for the printer and it still goes offline, right click the printer in 'Devices and Printers' and then select 'Printer Properties'. Select the 'Ports' tab and locate the port with the static IP address you are using for the printer. Click on it so that it is highlighted. Now click on the 'Configure Port' button below. Deselect 'SNMP Status Enabled' and then click on 'OK' and then click 'OK' again. The issue here is that by default, Windows polls devices for status using SNMP. A lot of printers don't respond to SNMP queries when they enter sleep mode. Eventually, Windows will change the printer status to 'Offline' because it never got a response from it. I did this on my PC and the problem hasn't come up in over 3 months. Before this fix, I was using fix #2.

2) I have another PC that is always left on. It's the one the kids use. I set up an advanced task on it using task scheduler. In that task, I execute a ping on the printers host name (or IP address). The task starts daily at 7AM and repeats every hour for one day. Then it starts again the next day. This kept the printer on the network and it never went offline. What I am not able to figure out is how this fix negates the SNMP issue described in fix #1. The maximum setting for when my printer enters sleep mode is 15 minutes. Since the ping task runs every hour, the printer can be asleep at most 45 minutes. I have a feeling that even though the printer enters sleep mode, the network connection stays active for quite a bit longer.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

This is what I did to fix my HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a offline issue.

I have mine wireless - connected to AT&T U-verse cable modem - always went offline.

Odd thing was I could update the firmware and access the webpage no problem... so it had to be Windows...

You need to connect directly to the printer using "Standard TCP/IP Port"

NOTE: That means you have to first give your printer a STATIC IP ADDRESS...  that your router IS NOT using in it's DHCP range. - Please research how to assing a static ip address to a printer before proceeding here...

Right click on your HP Officejet Pro 8600 and select "Printer Properties"

Click on "Change Properties" button to make administrative changes to the printer

Go to the "Ports" tab and make sure your Printer "HP Officejet Pro 8600" is using the "Standard TCP/IP Port"

If it is already set to "Standard TCP/IP Port" select the Port and click on the "Configure Port..." button

Uncheck the SNMP Status Enabled and the printer should come online.

HP Recommended
Thank you for coming back to the forums to let us know what worked for you!!

Happy Printing!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

I tried the fix #1 proposed by RickMQ, but when I try click "Configure Port", I get a generic Windows error message "An error occured during port configuration; operation could not be completed; Error 0x0000007b".  I have searched for a solution to the error message, but nothing seems to work.  I have uninstalled and re-installed the printer, but still receive the same error message.

I purchased my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus In November 2013.  It is hard-wired (Ethernet) to my Netgear WNDR3800 router and is set-up as a network printer.  I have a desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, an I-Pad with iOS 8.1.2, and a laptop also running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  My desktop is hard-wired (Ethernet) to my router; the I-Pad and the laptop use wireless connections to the router.  All of my devices (router, printer, i-Pad, desktop, & laptop) have all of the software updates installed.

Initially, I experienced the same problems as reported by everyone else (i.e., the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus goes offline …drops its network connection…when it goes to sleep).  I tried all of the solutions mentioned here and only found one that made a difference … using a static IP address for the printer.  My Netgear WNDR3800 router allow me to “reserve” an IP address for my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer.   I just assigned an IP address to the printer in my router and used the same IP address in the printer settings.  I did not change the port name or settings in the printer properties (it still uses the “HP network re-discovery” port).

My printer still “sleeps”, but it wakes up and prints when a print job is sent from my desktop, I-Pad, or laptop.  All of the other functions (scanning, faxing, etc.) work as they should. 

The only caveat is that my desktop (which is hard-wired {Ethernet} to my router) must remain on or in a sleep mode.  If I power down my desktop, within about 15 minutes, the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer will not wake-up when a print job is sent from either the I-Pad or laptop.  When I power up my desktop again, the printer still stays offline and will not wake up.  I have to power down the printer and restart it again in order for it to print, scan, etc. 

I have left my desktop powered on overnight and in the morning, the printer wakes up and prints from any of my devices (desktop, I-Pad, and laptop).

I do not know why the printer wakes up, as it should only when my desktop is on.  The only thing that I can think of is that my router has a program called Netgear Genie, which is installed on my desktop.  That program provides access to all of my router settings, displays all of the connected devices, etc.  Perhaps that program somehow “holds” the network connection to the printer as long as the program is running (i.e., my desktop is on).  

HP Recommended

Have encountered the exact sane issue for the 6 months I have had the 8600 Plus printer. For the past week It has not been of use at all. The blue network light just flashes. I used to be able to reset it and it would come back for awhile. Unfortunately, tomorrow I will be shopping for a new printer. This has been the worst I have ever had!  Can anyone reccomend a decent wireless printer that works when you need it to? I don't feel so left out after reading about other issues, but I certainly feel for all that have gone through this! Thanks for sharing.  I'm going to read all through these messages to see if someone has a magical fix for this.

HP Recommended

This worked for me...

You need to connect directly to the printer using "Standard TCP/IP Port"

NOTE: That means you have to first give your printer a STATIC IP ADDRESS...  that your router IS NOT using in it's DHCP range. - Please research how to assing a static ip address to a printer before proceeding here...

Right click on your HP Officejet Pro 8600 and select "Printer Properties"

Click on "Change Properties" button to make administrative changes to the printer

Go to the "Ports" tab and make sure your Printer "HP Officejet Pro 8600" is using the "Standard TCP/IP Port"

If it is already set to "Standard TCP/IP Port" select the Port and click on the "Configure Port..." button

Uncheck the SNMP Status Enabled and the printer should come online.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.