Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Excellent! kurkr soluion fixed the problem! Sleepy printer wakes up and starts printing just like it is supposed too. I even entered the printers name instead of the IP address.

I have always felt that the HP hardware is built like a tank and works like a charm but their software and support just plain sux.

HP Recommended
see last entry on page 4 from kurkr for the solution to this problem.
HP Recommended

This will fix the issue,  you can also assign an IP address outside of the DHCP range.

After installing this printer at many business premises I do this as a matter of course to save me the hassle of my unhappy customer calling me to say the printer is not working!

Besides this issue I must say the printer is great! Very fast, quiet and has uses very little ink.

Air-Print still stinks though.

HP Recommended

This forced "sleep" mode cannot continue.  We have business to do and we don't need planned problems.  We have enough problems of our own.

If HP does not change this, the market will fix it.  We pay for printers that RUN, not SLEEP.

HP Recommended

HCS_mrb wrote:

you can also assign an IP address outside of the DHCP range

For those of us who aren't that network savvy, could you explain what you mean and/or how to do this?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

There is something strange about this problem in my set up. I get the same issue as most of the posts but my iPad will always wake the printer and print. If I take my laptop out of the office and then come back and reconnect I cannot print but if I go to the wireless icon on the bottom of the Windows XP page and do a "repair" the computer will start printing again. When returning my laptop to the network and printing has stopped the other computers in the office are still able to print. So I'm not so sure the problem is all in the 8600 domain. The fact that HP is not capable of understanding the problem is stupid and they should do a better job of helping folks with this.

I also got an IP conflict last weekend when trying to get the printer back on line which indicated that anything returning to the network was assigned an IP address that was already assigned. So, I think it's an issue between the router and the printer as I have never had these issues ever and this set up has been in existence since 2003.

Someone mentioned that they changed their router to a FIOS router and the problem went away which again points to a the router setting the IP address. Clearly the 8600 and routers don't play well together and HP have done nothing to address this problem. If someone has any other ideas based on the info supplied above please let me know.

gdollar

HP Recommended

How do you set a static ip address? I've tried and it doesn't work. I'm not that techno savvy, but with decent instructions I should be able to do it. I can't eprint and I have to turn my wireless off and on every time I want to print from my computer even though it's right next to the darned thing.

HP Recommended
Sounds great, but for us technologically challenged people, how do you do that? Step by step>
HP Recommended

Here is how to set a static IP in an Officejet 8600:

Press the wireless radio icon to display the printer's IP address. 

1.Type only the numbers of your printer's IP address into a web browser and if you see information about your printer then you are successfully in the printer's embedded web server (EWS). 

2.Select the "Network" tab and under the word Wireless on the left hand side you will see IPv4 if your printer is setup wirelessly. 

3.Click on IPv4 and then highlight the circle to the right that says Manual IP. Next, select the gray button below that says "Suggest a Manual IP Address."  This will fill in most of the boxes for you to eliminate the risk of user error.  This will change your IP address so feel free to keep the new IP address or change the top row back to the first number you entered into the web browser to start with. I recommend not changing the current IP address so set it back from its suggested three-digit number in the top right box back to the one displayed on the printer earlier.

4.At the bottom of this page you have a preferred and alternate DNS server.  The preferred DNS server should say 8.8.8.8 and the alternate DNS server should say 8.8.4.4.  I will post a picture of an example.

5.Reboot the printer with the power button after clicking "Apply" to help complete the process.  This is how I set up a static IP to assist people with ePrint.  I hope this helps!

static ip 8600.PNG

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

HP employees, please quit chiming in with "How to set a static IP" and expect kudos for it. That's like me taking my car to the mechanic and telling them it won't start, and they show me how to change the wiper fluid. Good to know, but it doesn't fix my problem. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.