Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, kurkr's solution didn't work for me. 

When the printer enters sleep mode, the network card falls asleep too. This is evident because you can no longer ping the IP address. That should never happen on any device. There is no reason for the network card to fall asleep - the power savings is minimal and your router needs to be able to communicate with any device that's connected at all times.

If you constantly ping the IP address, that will keep the printer connected, but that's not a solution. That just causes unneccesary network chatter. 

HP techs, we're still waiting!

HP Recommended

My experience has been that static IP helps, but doesn't completely solve the problem.  If the router is restarted for whatever reason, I have to recycle the printer or at the least, manually reconnect wirelessly at the printer to bring it back on line.  I believe that shawnwhaley has the answer on this because the NIC card (actually the wireless card) is asleep and will never wake up because the printer was not awake when the router was restarted.

There are a lot of things to like about the printer - ease connectivity is not one of them.

Oh ... one other thing.  If the printer has to be restarted, don't force me to print test/alignment pages to get rid of the stupid message that says I need to do that.  Let me bypass that step.  My old HP wide-carriage printer would let me do that.

HP Recommended

I understand you're frustrated and since nobody else knew how to give step-by-step instructions on how to set a static IP, I didn't mind helping out those who requested it.  The reason that helps in most cases actually is that sleep-mode is suppose to be automatically disabled when the printer is setup on a wireless network, however it is obvious that is not the case here.  Going outside of the DHCP range helps "trick" this printer into realizing it is on the network.  

You make it really hard for HP techs to reply when you turn around and say not to chime in.  I, however, know how to keep this printer from going to sleep and do not mind helping anyone and everyone, because I have been in your shoes.  Press the question mark outside of the touchscreen display and at the bottom of this menu, turn on Demo mode to repeat.  This keeps the printer awake.  To access any of the functions from the display, just press the home button.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

You're right, I'm simply frustrated. I'm sorry for taking that out on you. Thank you for your help.

Can I ask you some questions? 

Just to recap - the wireless network card seems to fall asleep when the printer does, and waking the printer does not wake the network card. So, is the only solution to keep the printer from ever entering sleep mode? 

If so, that's not a great solution, but I'll take it. If I'm forced to choose between a printer that saves energy, or one that works, I'll take the one that works. 

For anyone else who wants to try this, press the ? button at the top right of your disply. Then "Product Tour" then "Demo Mode - Repeat". 

The demo mode ends if you use the printer or power-cycle. So, you'll have to remember to re-enable it. 

And, I have to assume that demo mode uses more power and burns out your lcd touch screen faster. 

When you think about it, it isn't a very good solution. 

HP Recommended

This may be a temporary solution, but the demo slide show goes continually and the light stays on. Why doesn't hp figure out a permanent solution? Such a nice machine and "it's the little foxes that spoil the vine". When are big companies going to figure out that beautiful products are useless if they have "little" flaws. Do they think we won't notice? That's just arrogance and bad customer service?

HP Recommended

Putting the printer into demo mode didn't solve the problem. The demo was still running after an hour, but I couldn't ping the IP address of the wireless card. My ping result was: Host is down. Rebooting the printer is the only thing I've found that fixes the issue. That is, until it enters sleep mode again. And, like others have stated, there is no way to disable the sleep mode. You can only choose 5, 10, or 15 minutes.

HP Recommended

For me the situation is not about keeping the printer awake. The printer will print everytime from my iPad but the computers on the network have issues. Everything was printing on Friday and I left for the weekend. Came back on Monday. Ipad printed, computers didn't. The printer was fully awake but nothing would print from the office laptops until they were booted. Clearly the printer recieves the document because when you get the message that the printer is unavailable, the HP icon shows the document being deleted, however when you reboot the computer the printer prints the document you had sent earlier.

I have 5 more days to fix this before I cannot take it back to the store. I have a HP 7200 Officejet that is showing an error code and won't print after working for five years and now I have a new HP printer that doesn't function correctly. Maybe I need to change brands. this is too taxing and I've spent hours on trying to get it to work.

gdollar

HP Recommended
If you only have five days left, take it back. This has been going on for more than a year and we're still not close to having it fixed.
HP Recommended

gdollar, By what method are you printing from  your iPad? Are you using webprint (meaning you send an email to your printer's email address) or do you print via an app on your iPad? 

The reason I ask is, your iPad is probably using a different protocol than the computers. Have you set a static IP address on the printer yet? Can you ping that address from your computer when the printer doesn't seem to be responding? 

If you can ping your pinter, then you may have a different issue than the rest of us. I don't want to speak below your knowledge of computers, so I'm sorry if this is remedial. But, to ping the printer from your computer, Go to your start icon, then, on Windows XP click on Run, or on Windows 7 or 8 just click on the search box. Type in CMD and hit enter. That will launch another window - usually a black box with a cursor. Then, type "ping 192.168.1.xxx" using the IP address of your printer. (don't type in the quotations)

Your results will either say "pinging 192.168.1.xxx" and you will have 4 successful pings, or "Request timed out" or "host unreachable". 

HP Recommended

I'm using HP ePrint on my iPad and it has never ever failed to print. When I ping the printer from my computer it returns the four pings but I haven't tried it yet when the printer is unavailable from the computer. I seem to think that the ip address of the printer has been the same since installation. It is always 192.168.1.104. Clearly the iPad wakes it up so I don't think it's the printer going to sleep.

I am not aware of giving the printer a fixed ip address during my set up and I haven't attempted to do that yet because several folks said it didn't help. I can see when my computer drops of the printer because the scan icon appears in the tray with a red X across it. At that point the printer is not available to the computer. Sometimes repairing the ip address works most often I need a full boot.

Thanks for your help in trying to solve this. As many have said, this printer seems great when it's functional but I do need to have it connected at all times.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.