Question

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 1 of 4 (23,889 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I get my USB to wireless printer on a network without a computer?

[ Edited ]

If you have a USB to Wireless printer and no computer to use the software to do this and do not want to use the WPS option (or it is not available), then the following method may help.

This is intended to get a USB to wireless, like the Deskjet 3512 printer, on the wireless network when there is no computer available.  However, this can work from a computer as well if you prefer not to install the software.

For these steps, I will use an iPad.

1.  The printer will broadcast a wireless network of its own.  This usually has HP Setup and the model of the printer listed in the network name.  Connect a wireless device to this network.

2.  Once connected, open the browser.  In my case, this is Safari.

3.  Enter the 192.168.223.1 address in the address and press go to access the printer's status page.

4.  Once there, there will be many tabs at the top.  Select Network.

5.  Select Wireless Setup Wizard.

6.  Select Next at the bottom.

7.  It will search for available networks.  Select your network from the list and select next.  The network should be highlighted, select it again if it is not.

8.  It will ask for the password.  Enter the password and select Next at the bottom.

9.  The printer should now be connected to the network.  It may take a few minutes to reflect this.  Reconnect the computer or mobile device back to your regular network and it should be good to go.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 4 (23,888 Views)

Re: How do I get my USB to wireless printer on a network without a computer?

[ Edited ]

I know there are some users that have only a tablet and a USB to wireless printer with no other way to get it on a network.  

I hope this information is helpful to someone.  :smileyhappy:

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
jopete
Message 3 of 4 (23,752 Views)

I followed the steps provided using my ipad and putting in the printer ip address.  I keep getting the same message:  Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding.  I am able to go to other websites, I only receive the message when putting in the printer IP address.  Any suggestions?

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 4 (23,706 Views)

If you are able to go to other websites, then the iPad is not connected to the printer's network.  The first step is absolutely key for this process to work and that is to connect the iPad to the printer's broadcasted network.

For the steps to work, the printer will need to be connected to the printer's SSID for the printer's IP address to load.

While connected to the printer's SSID, there will be no internet connection so no websites will be able to load.

The steps provided are for mostly newer model printers that have the 192.168.223.1 address reserved in them.  However, older printers use a 169.254.X.X address.

What model is your printer?  You may need to connect the iPad to the printer and then print a network config page off the printer to get the proper address for the printer.  

What model is the printer?

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation