Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am on a secure wireless network with 5 other apartments and someone has been recently been able to access and print from my wireless printer. On the printer itself, I can't find where I can set a security or encryption code for the printer. So, I'm hoping someone could walk me through how to set it up so that the printer is secure. It's a HP Officejet 6500.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Actually, that is quite possible. You just have to adjust the security settings on the printer to do that. Just to to Devices and Printers, right click on the unit, go to Printer Properties and under the "Security" tab you can restrict users on the same network. 

This shold enable you to control your printer with a little more discretion. 

Happy holidays! 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

First, you can't.  With that said, how is the printer connected to YOUR router inside your apartment?  Please don't say you have it connected to a public router.

HP Recommended

The wireless internet is a free service provided by my apartment complex (6 units), so the printer uses that to wirelessly connect to my computer. We do not have our own router inside our apartment. 

I thought there was some way to put a password when someone is trying to connect their computer to the printer, just like I had to set up my computer to link to my printer?

Thanks for your time.

HP Recommended

Just like your computer is on the public 'hot spot', so is your printer and others can find it with ease, install the drivers and print to it when ever they want.  Suggest you disconnect and run a cable to your computer and install it again, or if the printer supports 'ad-hoc' connection, this will work for you.

You do realize the inherent danger of having your computer on a public network all the time,  right?   

HP Recommended

Actually, that is quite possible. You just have to adjust the security settings on the printer to do that. Just to to Devices and Printers, right click on the unit, go to Printer Properties and under the "Security" tab you can restrict users on the same network. 

This shold enable you to control your printer with a little more discretion. 

Happy holidays! 

HP Recommended

Oh wow, totally forgot about that.  That may work for him, sorry.  Just not used to setting security on printers.   Typically it is set to everyone, but you can adjust it to just your PC it looks like.

Still not a good idea to be on a public network all the time though.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much! Your instructions were so helpful.

I couldn't imagine that there wouldn't be a way to restrict other people from accessing my printer. Problem solved!

HP Recommended

How do I secure my printer

HP Recommended

@lindseyf25 wrote:

I am on a secure wireless network with 5 other apartments and someone has been recently been able to access and print from my wireless printer. On the printer itself, I can't find where I can set a security or encryption code for the printer. So, I'm hoping someone could walk me through how to set it up so that the printer is secure. It's a HP Officejet 6500.

HP Recommended

I found the way that worked for my home network was not to go on to my computer's "devices/printers" but to go directly to the printer and and start the set-up process again. 

By doing this, I was required to enter my network password, and upon completion and checking the "available networks" for internet connection, I found that my printer was now listed as SECURED.

1) Go to your printer's digital touch screen and select the wireless icon

2) The network IP address should display, network name, .... host name

3) Select the "gear" settings icon

4)Select "Wireless Set up Wizard"

5) A promt will appear ......."are you sure you want to set it up again?" Select YES

6) Choose your correct Network Name (your personal home network)

7) Enter your wifi password ( you may have to switch between alpha-numeric displays as necessary)

😎 Select "DONE"

9) Confirm Settings: prompt appears showing your wifi network name, security, and password

10) If it looks good, select OK, and you will see your printer "connecting"

11) Final promt "Connection Successful" everything should show as you expect on your network

12) Hit the "back" arrow, since you will no longer need to use the set-up wizard

13) Return to your computer's wireless network discovery and confirm that your XXX-HPxx-Series Printer-XXX should now show "Secured"

Hope that gives an easy to follow instruction and stops your neigbours from sending unsolisited jobs to your printer! {-;

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.