How do I secure my printer so that I prevent my neighbors from using my wireless printer to print? (2286 Views)
Honor Student
lindseyf25
Message 1 of 7 (2,286 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I secure my printer so that I prevent my neighbors from using my wireless printer to print?

I am on a secure wireless network with 5 other apartments and someone has been recently been able to access and print from my wireless printer. On the printer itself, I can't find where I can set a security or encryption code for the printer. So, I'm hoping someone could walk me through how to set it up so that the printer is secure. It's a HP Officejet 6500.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 7 (2,268 Views)

Re: How do I secure my printer so that I prevent my neighbors from using my wireless printer to prin

First, you can't.  With that said, how is the printer connected to YOUR router inside your apartment?  Please don't say you have it connected to a public router.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the left in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I used to work for HP, but now I'm retired.
Honor Student
lindseyf25
Message 3 of 7 (2,262 Views)

Re: How do I secure my printer so that I prevent my neighbors from using my wireless printer to prin

The wireless internet is a free service provided by my apartment complex (6 units), so the printer uses that to wirelessly connect to my computer. We do not have our own router inside our apartment. 

I thought there was some way to put a password when someone is trying to connect their computer to the printer, just like I had to set up my computer to link to my printer?

Thanks for your time.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 4 of 7 (2,253 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just like your computer is on the public 'hot spot', so is your printer and others can find it with ease, install the drivers and print to it when ever they want.  Suggest you disconnect and run a cable to your computer and install it again, or if the printer supports 'ad-hoc' connection, this will work for you.

You do realize the inherent danger of having your computer on a public network all the time,  right?   

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 5 of 7 (2,234 Views)

Actually, that is quite possible. You just have to adjust the security settings on the printer to do that. Just to to Devices and Printers, right click on the unit, go to Printer Properties and under the "Security" tab you can restrict users on the same network. 

This shold enable you to control your printer with a little more discretion. 

Happy holidays! 

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 6 of 7 (2,232 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh wow, totally forgot about that.  That may work for him, sorry.  Just not used to setting security on printers.   Typically it is set to everyone, but you can adjust it to just your PC it looks like.

Still not a good idea to be on a public network all the time though.

Honor Student
lindseyf25
Message 7 of 7 (2,222 Views)

Thanks so much! Your instructions were so helpful.

I couldn't imagine that there wouldn't be a way to restrict other people from accessing my printer. Problem solved!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation