How to print from a remote printer. (2098 Views)
Student
Plumbr
Message 1 of 2 (2,098 Views)

How to print from a remote printer.

I have a HP computer in my office running windows XP connected by a cable to a Linksys router, also in the office is an HP all-in-one printer connected wirelessly to the router.  In the living room 50 feet away, I have another HP computer, connected wirelessly to the network, running windows XP and a smaller HP all-in-one printer.

I have been attempting to print from the office printer, using the living room computer, without success.  Every time I try, the living room printer prints the document.

Does anyone know how to configure these computers and printers to achieve the results I want, mainly printing on the office printer from the living room computer?

Aloha, Bob

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 2 (2,086 Views)

Re: How to print from a remote printer.

Go into Control Panel > Printers.  Delete either the problem computer or both computers from the list.

Re-add them:

1. Click "Start" button --> Printers and Faxes.
2. Under Printer Tasks, click "Add Printer".
3. Click "Next" button on the Add Printer Wizard window.
4. Select "Local printer attached to this computer". Deselect "Automatically detect and install My Plug and play printer". Click "Next".
5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "Next" button.
6. In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on and connected to same network that your computer is connected to. Click "Next" button.
7. Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" enter the printer's IP address. Click "Next" then click "Finish".
8. Now, select HP from the list of manufacturers, select your printer from the list of Printer models and click 'Next' button.
9. If you can't find your printer, you'll need to find the install CD and use the "Have Disk" option to select one of the hp*.ini files. Alternatively, you can select another HP printer model from the same type.
10. Add the print spooler name and click "Next".
11. Click "Next"
12. Click "Next" and then "Finish"

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation