I have an Officejet J4680 that shows Printer Offline (5787 Views)
Top Student
magnum49
Message 1 of 15 (5,787 Views)

I have an Officejet J4680 that shows Printer Offline

It is connected via wireless with a static IP that the techs at HP assisted me in the set up.  If I power cycle the printer, it comes on line for approximately 30 minutes then goes offline and needs to be cycled again. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 15 (5,760 Views)

Re: I have an Officejet J4680 that shows Printer Offline

What router?  What operating system?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
magnum49
Message 3 of 15 (5,756 Views)

Windows 7 and a Linksys WRTU54G-TM

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 15 (5,748 Views)

I am not sure how you set the static IP address.  Here is a method that uses the printer interface that works very well and often cures this problem:

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 192.168.1.100 to .149.  Let's use 192.168.1.220 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
magnum49
Message 5 of 15 (5,746 Views)

Ironically, the printer is offline so I cant access that page.......but I will try after I power cycle the printer....

Top Student
magnum49
Message 6 of 15 (5,706 Views)

I think I finally solved this issue....After two hours of troubleshooting with HP on the phone.  Anyway, long story short, unplug the printer for twenty seconds, then BEFORE you plug it back in hold down the pound (#) key and the 6 key.  Continue to hold these down while you plug the machine back in.  Continue to hold these buttons down while you turn the machine on.  When the machine shows a language selection you have completed the factory reset.  Now you have to reset up the printer, language, wireless connection, etc. I went with the machine defaults, it found my network, connected and has maintained the connection for 18 hours, so far.  Wish me luck.  Hope this helps those of you whose printer seems to go into a "sleep mode" even though the printer doesn't have that mode.

Student
yangster18
Message 7 of 15 (5,323 Views)

So I had a similar problem except the printer is connected to the wireless router no problem 

And the laptop see the printer but it says its connected and won't print anything

I am starting to think its my ASUS laptop's problem but Window 7 64 bit should be smart enough to run it. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 15 (5,320 Views)

Download and run this utility:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/p...

What does it say?

I am employed by HP
Student
Barb70
Message 9 of 15 (4,861 Views)

My printer, a J4680 is off line. How do I get it back on line?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 15 (4,853 Views)

Is it really offline or can your computer just not connect to it?  Print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer to see if it is connected.

What router?

What operating system?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation