Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart C7280 printer connected wirelessly on my home network through a Belkin F6D4230-4 v1 router.  Whenever there is a power interruption or the router is reset, a different IP address (within the range of 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.9) gets assigned to the printer when the router comes back online.   This action requires every computer on the network (total of up to 9 computers) reinstall the driver and reset all printing preferences on each computer individually.   How can I assign a static IP address to the printer so the router will recognize that address each time it resets and not assign a different address each time the power goes off (all too frequently in my area)?

I hope I have provided enough information here.  If more information is needed for a proper solution, reply and I can probably supply more information.

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Setting a static IP is explained in Point E of the guide here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ePrint-Print-Apps-Mobile/ePrint-Apps-Connectivity-Troubleshooting-Pleas...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Setting a static IP is explained in Point E of the guide here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ePrint-Print-Apps-Mobile/ePrint-Apps-Connectivity-Troubleshooting-Pleas...

HP Recommended

This response is over a year old and I should at least acknowledge and thank you for the response.  The "solution" went so far over my head that it was totally wasted, tho.  I really feel that if HP had some competent developers to write drivers for their products, this issue would not even exist.  While I still have the original problem and have to delete and reload the driver and then reset all preferences on a weekly basis, at least I have learned how to make the printer print.  These issues with the printer certainly makes HP not a product that is "dear to me" and a product that I will have bad feelings for as long as I continue to use it.

HP Recommended

Sorry you weren't able to understand the instructions.It can sound a bit daunting until you actually do it.To open the page to set manual IP you type the ip address currently assigned to the printer in the address bar of Internet Explorer. In the window that opens you will see the other settings mentioned in the left sidebar of the page.

Btw, it isn't actually a printer or printer driver problem.When the router is reset it assigns a new ip address to the printer and your computers. Windows and/or programs aren't smart enough  to look for the printer at another ip address ,taking the lazy out and looking for it at the previous ip.:)

HP Recommended

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!  Maybe you have fixed my problem - maybe.  I have a new problem that has just developed today, it is printing reds green, but I will look at that another day. (I am not accustomed to getting much service from this printer to start with)  I have a stack of instant messenger conversations with various operators 3/4" thick and absolutely none of them ever suggested that I check under what conditions the printer would quit working.  I finally figured it out myself after a year or more, but I didn't know how to cure the problem.  (I still believe that some creative programming in the driver would solve the whole problem)  I have had to delete and reinstall the printer every time there is a temporary power failure or anything causes an interruption to the printer power - and perhaps router and/or modem power, too - not sure about that.  Each time I have had to reload the driver (install printer) I then have to go into "Properties" and select photo paper size and select that the duplex unit is installed as I have found no way to make either of those default (another bit of finesse required by developers).  Then I have to go to "Printing Preferences" and select "Duplex Printing" and "Show Preview before printing".  This is something that I don't even know I'm going to have to do until I attempt to print something and, without any notice whatsoever, it just silently fails to print.  This ordeal has repeated itself AT LEAST once a week since I have owned this printer - probably 3 years now.

I do apologize to you for my curt reply today, but I hope now you can understand my shortness of patience with the situation.  I also had a similar experience with HP trying to get a P1100 (which is still in service) to function properly on a Windows ME machine.  When I moved to an XP machine, the printer started working fine.  I blame that on a poorly written driver, too.

I have a static IP address assigned to my C7280 printer now, maybe it will survive a power outage without having to be manually reinstalled.  Thank you for your efforts and your patience.

HP Recommended

Happy to hear that you got the static ip set.Yes, I can understand the frustration and short temper. Very infuriating for a computer or printer to not function as rightly expected. Hopefully the static ip will solve the problem.Mine is set with static ip and I turn my router/modem off many times overnight, with no disruption of printer function.

HP Recommended

Now I do have a new problem that has just developed.  The colors are not right.  Reds, both light and dark, do not print at all.  Yellow prints green.  Reds print green.   This is a new problem that has just come about in the past 2 days.  Prints black text ok, but nothing else.  I did a "Self Test Diagnostic Page" and the black and light Cyan and Cyan appear to print ok.  The yellow prints green and light magenta and magenta neither one print at all.  The space is blank for both magentas.  I have replaced the three affected color cartridges even tho I could shake the ones that were in the printer and hear liquid splashing around.  Replacing the cartridge made no difference whatsoever.

Can we begin disgnosis on this problem as a continuation of this thread, or must I begin a new thread?

HP Recommended

Follow the steps in the document to clean the printhead. You may need to run the printhead cleaning more than once.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01545717

If that fails to fix the problem, post your question in the 'Printer ink, toner, and printheads Issues" section of the forum HERE

HP Recommended

Thank you CherylG, you have guided me to fixing my IP address difficulties.  Through several router reboots, printer reboots, software re-installations on two computers and all the manipulations of the failed tests that you sent me the directions for, my printer has remained on 192.168.2.11 but still may print black, may print blue and may print green, but will never print the correct colors.  NOT EVEN CLOSE!  I will start a new thread and probably start another 3/4" stack of communications and spend another 6 months to year trying to make my printer print colors - or even print black.  I just hope I can be more successful than I was previously until I caught you available to answer a question. 

HP Recommended

Now another year has gone by but I can give you the final result of the third consecutive unsatisfactory HP printer I have owned.  You may wish to consider the general result of my experience in your programmer hirings and expectations in the future.  I finally, due to HP's lack of customer problem support, threw away another HP printer that completely failed in a very short period of time.  As you might imagine, I did not and will not replace it with another HP printer.  Three strikes and you're out.  My p1100 printer, which I am stil using on my Windows 2000 computer is the last satisfactory HP printer I have owned and the last HP printer I will own.  HP, due their extremely "flaky" software, unsatisfactory longevity of products, and EXTREMELY poor online product support has lost me as an HP customer.  Goodbye HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.