Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Incoming ports (UDP) are destination ports on the computer while outgoing ports (TCP) are destination ports on the HP printer.

• Incoming (UDP) ports: 137, 138, 161, 427

• Outgoing (TCP) ports: 137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500

The ports are used for the following functions:

Printing

• UDP ports: 427, 137, 161
  • TCP port: 9100

Photo card upload

• UDP ports: 137, 138, 427
  • TCP port: 139

Scanning

• UDP port: 427
  • TCP ports: 9220, 9500

HP device status

• UDP port: 161

Faxing

• TCP port: 9220

HP device installation

Web Services Ports

• UDP and TCP: 80, 443, 5222, and 5223

Bonjour Ports

• UDP and TCP: 5353, 5297, and 5298

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended
Thanks for the information!
HP Recommended

I'm currently having a problem scanning from printer, I can scan from computer however. But when trying to scan from HP OfcJet Pro 8600 or 8610 get message "Selected computer cannot be found". I was on the phone with HP support for hours yesterday trying to find the solution. In the end it was decided it was AVG Security blocking the ports. But even after removal, (not Ctrl Pnl uninstall) still couldn't scan from printer.

Any solutions?

HP Recommended

I hate to ask the obvious, but does the printer have the correct net mask and gateway?

HP Recommended

If you can't find a place to set exceptions in your AVG software for the printer's IP address, try contacting either AVG support or your internet service provider. I've had customers who have received free help getting their IP address DMZed.

HP Recommended

Are these the setting for the hpeprint print driver or for using the printer in a home network. I try to use an hpeprint driver and I get the following message from Norton firewall, which uses a UDP port not listed above:

Category: Firewall - Activities
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Category
11/15/2014 11:17:48 AM,Info, Rule  rejected  UDP(17)  traffic with  (192.168.13.136  Port (54378) ),Detected,No Action Required,Firewall - Activities
 Firewall rule was matched:<br> Rule Name: Default Block LLMNR<br> Rule Action: rejected<br> Rule Severity: normal<br> <br> Traffic Details:<br> Protocol:  UDP(17) <br> Direction: inbound<br> Local Host: <br> Local IP: 224.0.0.252<br> Local Service:  Port (5355) <br> Remote Host: <br> Remote IP: 192.168.13.136<br> Remote Service:  Port (54378) <br> Remote MAC:  -- <br> Adapter Index: 12<br> <br> Process Information:<br> Process ID: 1364<br> Process Path: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe<br>

HP Recommended

Two more details:

1.  hpeprint driver (win7) used to work.

2. sending print jobs as emails to myname@hpeprint.com works, which means printer is properly configured for hpeprint. It is only the hpeprint driver (which is a really nice feature) that does not work.

Suggestions are appreciated.  Also, I don't want to open a whole bunch of ports. It would be nice if one could grant firewall privileges to a particular executable used by the hpeprint driver.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I know you are at an HP Support site, but I hear Norton can provide some great troubleshooting assistance for free to see if it a port blocking it or perhaps a firewall setting in general.  You can always temporarily disable Norton for troubleshooting purposes just to see if that is the issue or not.  Sometimes it is in the router itself, which is what the ports above are "technically" referencing.

Let me know if that works for you or not.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  Disabling the Norton Smart Firewall did not help: same error message. 

Can you tell us which ports are used by the HPeprint printer driver for Win7 (as opposed to your regular printer receiving jobs from another computer in the LAN)?  My impression is that you list the former. If you are listing both, please clarify because I do not get it.

Also, it would be nice to have more detailed diagnostics.

HP Recommended

Yes - those are the web services ports listed above.  Were you ever able to print using the ePrint driver before or is this an installation?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.