Installed new wireless router; don't know how to change printer settings (61954 Views)
Honor Student
remi
Message 1 of 29 (61,954 Views)
Accepted Solution

Installed new wireless router; don't know how to change printer settings

I just changed the wireless router which has created a problem with printing. I don't know what I need to do to change the printer settings to accommodate the new wireless router. Would greatly appreciate any help with how to do so. I'm on Windows XP, SP3 with a HP all in one on a wireless laptop (don't have wired connection). Wireless router is a linksys. Security AVG 8 trial version. Thank you!
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 29 (61,947 Views)

Re: Installed new wireless router; don't know how to change printer settings

Did you change the name of your wireless network or the encryption type when you changed the wireless-router?

What type of wireless printer do you have?

If you had a working wireless printer on your wireless network and then changed the wireless router, you may have to reinstall the printer SW on your PC if your printer is not working.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
remi
Message 3 of 29 (61,932 Views)

Thanks so much for the response. I did change the network name and whatever else changes with a new wireless router. I can get to the toolbox setting for 'network configuration, then select manual for TCP/IP. I guessed and entered the info. I see for the wireless router: ip address, default gateway, etc., but this did not connect my wireless laptop to the computer. If you can tell me what to do, I can probably change the settings, novice that I am. P.S. I've read the manual, but don't understand what to do when I'm only using a wireless network connection. I can certainly attach the laptop to the printer, but I'm not sure if that helps anything. Please advise. Thanks so much.
PhD Student
smartfriend
Message 4 of 29 (61,927 Views)

What is the model of your printer? Did you install the printer via a USB previously?
Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
Honor Student
remi
Message 5 of 29 (61,912 Views)

Hi, The install was done several years ago, so I can't remember how the printer was setup to the wireless network. I only have a wireless connection at my home. There is no wired desktop. I'm on Windows XP, SP3 with a Linksys RangePlus wireless router and a HP Color Laserjet 2840 all in one. I've always used the laptop to printer via a wireless connection using the old wireless router that I just replaced. I can't figure out how to get the printer on the wireless network.

I also have Windows Firewall and AVG 8 trial version security, so not sure if this is a problem as well. Thanks.

Honor Student
hudson_daphne
Message 6 of 29 (57,643 Views)

Honor Student
hudson_daphne
Message 7 of 29 (57,641 Views)

okokdaphne    daphne hudson

Student
ginrico
Message 8 of 29 (52,721 Views)

I have a HP F4580 wireless printer. I had it installed by a tech over 7 months ago. I was able to print wirelessly from my desktop and laptop with no problem. I recently had a new wireless service installed. My printer was showing offline. After several hours (at least 7) of trying everything I finally unistalled and installed the printer again. The problem is I enter my SSID address, it says it can't find it, I tell the program to continue. I enter my password and hit next. It goes through a diagnostic run, says it is connecting to the printer, then it says it is checking settings of the OLD router and then checking wireless radio. It then post "Your printer cannot detect your wireless router. Check the network name (SSID) name of your router. I have gone to the wireless printing center, followed instructions on changing wireless settings. Did not work.  Same statement comes up as before.  Funny thing, the blue light on the front of the printer (signifying wireless) is blinking!!! Arrgghh!! I need help.  

I called the wireless provider back and it is working. The said I needed to change the settings in the printer. Won't work. There must be some small thing that I am missing.

My operating system is Microsoft XP.

Thanks

Ginrico

Student
myhome
Message 9 of 29 (49,230 Views)

Re: Installed new wireless router; don't know how to change printer settings on computer

Instructions say to go to Wireless Network Settings, cannot find them

Top Student
HPUSER2980
Message 10 of 29 (47,444 Views)

How to change wireless printer network setting (SSID) when you change your router or
if you moved printer/computer to a new network.

Here's how I did it..

Connect printer with router via ethernet cable
On any computer on the network, search for network printer in "add printer"
It will show IP address of printer (for example; 192.168.1.8)
Put IP address in browser's address bar
You will see your printer set up config. screen
change wireless settings under "Network settings"
Remove the hard wire cable from router that connects to printer.
Now search again "Add a printer"
follow the directions.
Done.. ready to print!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation