Question

Student
krrrk
Message 1 of 21 (4,107 Views)
Accepted Solution

Issue with HP Officejet Pro L7680―incorporating it into my existing Home Network

Background

Back in April 2008 I purchased an HP Officejet Pro L7680 all-in-1 printer, which I still have and which still produces quality copies and scans. Back then I had a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router (WPN824). I had my HP desktop PC and HP notebook PC set up in a Home Network (aka local LAN). The HP Officejet Pro L7680 was attached to the router via an ethernet port + cable in the back of the router. This system enabled me to print wirelessly from either of my computers.

Present

I have updated my desktop PC (HP Pavilion HPE-400y with internal wireless chip) and have since setup a new Netgear router (N600 Wireless Dual Band Router―WNDR3400) and a Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender (WN2000RPT) to create a new Home Network. This network works fine in that I can easily access the Internet via this system. I can still print using my HP Officejet Pro L7680 provided I attach a USB cable between my printer and my HP Pavilion desktop PC. All Netgear equipment uses WPA-PSK encryption.

Question

I would prefer to use the HP Officejet Pro L7680 like I had it three years ago, i.e., asa WLAN connected through my Netgear Router and extended in other parts of my house by my Netgear Range Extender since the Router is downstairs. I tried connecting an ethernet cable from the HP Officejet Pro L7680 to the Range Extender. However, it won't work. Apparently the HP Officejet Pro L7680 still has the old network configuration, i.e., the one it had back in 2008. I've tried the Setup menu on the HP Officejet Pro L7680, specifically the one labeled 5. Network, but I can't get the HP Officejet Pro L7680 to set up a new network configuration so that it is recognizable by my present Home Network. Do I need to download some software from the HP site? If so, what? Please advise.

My personal SW firewall and anti-virus SW is Symantec Norton 360 current version. I didn't have any problem with the Norton 360 in setting up my Home Network.

I know this is long, but if you don't understand the issue I'm having, you're not going to be able to help me. I believe I've supplied all the relevant information.

Thank you.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 21 (4,087 Views)

Re: Issue with HP Officejet Pro L7680―incorporating it into my existing Home Network

Why not take advantage of the fact that the printer has wireless capability?

Let's reset the printer. From the front panel:

1. Setup > Network > Reset Network Defaults.

2. Now, from the same Network menu, run the Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer is now connected to your network.  All you have to do now is add it to your computers:

Start > All Programs > Hewlett-Packard > Officejet Pro L7680 > Add a Device

It will find the printer and add it as your default printer.  You may want to go delete the old instance of the printer in Control Panel.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
maryfrances
Message 3 of 21 (4,050 Views)

Re: Issue with HP Officejet Pro L7680―incorporating it into my existing Home Network

Hi,

I have the exact same problem! From what I've been able to find in the various posts, the L7680 does not have a wireless wizard setup menu--mine certainly does not.

I've downloaded the HP usb to wireless software, but still no luck. It does not find the printer, even when I type in the router information. The only way I can print is via the usb connection to the printer.

Any other suggestions?

Mary

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 21 (4,048 Views)

The printer does have a Wireless Setup WIzard.  This is a quote from the manual:

1. On the control panel, press the Setup button.

2. Press an arrow button to move to Network, and then press OK.

3. Press an arrow button to move to Wizard, and then press OK.

4. Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
maryfrances
Message 5 of 21 (4,039 Views)

Hi,

When I select network, I get three options:

View Network settings

Restore Network Defaults

Advanced

Selecting Advanced opens a menu for IP address, manual or automatic and I get the message "No Link."

As I mentioned, I saw notes in other forums to the effect that this particular model (7680) does not offer network access, even though it indicates otherwise.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Mary

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 21 (4,031 Views)

OK, my mistake. The 7700 series has wireless, the 7600 series is wired networking only (Ethernet cable).  Have you tried connecting your printer to your router with Ethernet?

I am employed by HP
PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 7 of 21 (4,021 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can check the printer's network settings by accessing the Embedded Web Server (EWS). To do this you will need to connect your printer ad-hoc (wired) to one of your computers, check the IP address of the printer and then open it on a web browser. Go to the network section of the EWS to check the current setup and change them to your preferred settings.

hope this helps.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Honor Student
maryfrances
Message 8 of 21 (3,996 Views)

Hi,

The ethernet cable connection doesn't work--I still need to connect the printer to the computer in order to print. When I try the ethernet route, and disconnect the connection to the computer, I get the message that the printer is not connected, and nothing prints.

the printer IP address comes up as 0.0.0.0

Thanks for all the help--I guess I'm stuck with connecting directly to the computer.

Mary

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 21 (3,984 Views)

Oh, I don't think you are stuck with USB.  From your post above:

When I select network, I get three options:

View Network settings

Restore Network Defaults

Advanced

With the Ethernet unplugged, select the middle one.  Then reset your router by removing its power for a few seconds, then plug back in.  Turn the printer off then back on.

Finally, plug in the Ethernet cable.

I am employed by HP
Student
JandB4218
Message 10 of 21 (3,767 Views)

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!  I have been trying for days to get my officejet L7860 up and running with my new laptop and you solved my problem in 5 minutes!  :smileyhappy:  My whole family is much happier and we give you many thanks.  I was so confused because my manual also said to look for the Network Setup Wizard, which is nowhere to be found on my machine.  So, I used the Ethernet cable and followed your instructions and it works great now.  :smileyhappy:

Thank you,

Bethany

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation