J4680 can be seen on network but won't print/scan (1633 Views)
Top Student
321rkb123
Message 1 of 21 (1,633 Views)
Accepted Solution

J4680 can be seen on network but won't print/scan

Everything I'm about to describe has been working fine for 2+ years ...

The J4680 is/has been connected wirelessly to my home network.

My daughter printed something and it came out fuzzy.  I tried to copy something to see if it was the printer and it came out fine so I did a calibration using the tools menu on the printer.  The printer printed the calibration page but it complained that it could not find a calibration page when it came time to do the scan of the calibration page.  Again, I tried using it as a copier and that worked just fine.  Since then, I cannot print or scan to this printer on any computer in the house.  Computers are running a mix of XP, Win7, and Vista.  The HP diagnostic tools (plural) that I downloaded all show the printer connected and working properly, but still no printing.

I log into my router and can see the printer connected as a DHCP client using 192.168.15.1.  I can open a browser, plug in that IP address and get access to the printer.  It sees the ink level and shows the printer's status as "processing job".  Opening HP Solution Center software shows the printer as "disconnected".

I have rebooted the printer and every computer in the house ... no go. I have rebooted the router ... no go.

I have reinstalled the solution center software and it printed once, but when I tried to scan, it failed and it hasn't printed or scanned again since.  I've tried doing the calibration thing and still get the same message.

I'm at my wit's end.  Help?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 21 (1,584 Views)

Re: J4680 can be seen on network but won't print/scan

Download and run this utility: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e17-1&h_keyword=dg-NDU&ju...

I am employed by HP
Top Student
321rkb123
Message 3 of 21 (1,578 Views)

OK, so I don't know what that did, but I can print now print and scan, so thank you very much!  However, I still get the same error when I try to calibrate.  Any suggestions on that?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 21 (1,576 Views)

Are you using HP ink and good, white paper?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
321rkb123
Message 5 of 21 (1,572 Views)

Affirmative.  In fact, changed cartridges recently too.  Have never used anything but HP ink and am still using part of a case of paper that I've been using (and calibrating with) for some time.  Everything has been working just fine for quite some time.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 21 (1,566 Views)

I really don't know what is wrong.  Let's reset the printer.  Turn it off and then hold the # and 6 keys while turning it back on.

You may need to re-connect it with your wireless network (Setup > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard).

I am employed by HP
Top Student
321rkb123
Message 7 of 21 (1,561 Views)

Thanks, great idea!  ... but nope, didn't fix it.  Alignment still failed.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 21 (1,554 Views)

OK, let's remove both cartridges, clean the electrical contacts (small 1/16" dots on the cartridge and matching ones inside the printer.  Use a damp, lint-free cloth.  The cloth will be ruined with ink.

Now, try it.  If that does not do it, using the driver on your computer "Clean cartridges".  If that does not work you may have a faulty cartridge (probably color).

I am employed by HP
Top Student
321rkb123
Message 9 of 21 (1,494 Views)

Faulty color cartridge - great job!

Honor Student
must_dash
Message 10 of 21 (1,256 Views)

I am trying to install the full software package on a windows XP machine.  Looking at various problems I have connected the wireless printer to Ip 192.168.1.100 and can see the printer in a web browser and have set up a printer using a TCP/IP port and the printer name from the webpage.

However when I install the siftware the program comes up with 'search complete, no printers found' I go to advanched search options and enter the printer name or the Ip and have the same result.

I downloaded the  network diagnostic utilty wich can't see the printer, but when I go to show network deviced the IP address shows, but with 'unknown' for the device.

Any ideas

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation