Question

Student
ksal
Message 1 of 14 (8,691 Views)

LaserJet m1212nf cannot connect wired to network

I just bought the m1212nf last week  to replace a no longer working HP multi-function printer and while it works well connected using the USB mode, it refuses to connect via a wired connection to my router. I updated the firmware today to the latest version as an attempt to fix the problem, so I have the latest firmware and drivers installed. The pc's trying to connect are both Windows XP (SP3) (two PC's), and Windows 7 (one PC).

DHCP Mode - Config report shows 0.0.0.0 for all ip addresses. Link speed/Duplex is shown as "No Link". On the back of the printer, the ethernet port flashes a very brief green light, and multiple short bursts of the orange light. On the router (an older but working LINKSYS BEFW11S4 v.2), all 3 lights flash for the port for the printer. DHCP/BOOTP Server address shows as 0.0.0.0 so obviously it cannot find the DHCP server (I have 3 other devices active on DHCP -- 1 wired, and two wireless so the DHCP assignment is working). What confuses me is that the Config Report states that the "IP Configured by" field is "Manual" instead of "Automatic".  WINS server is listed as 0.0.0.0.

Static Address Mode - Config report shows the assigned IP address (192.168.1.244), subnet (255.255.255.0) and gateway (192.168.1.1) which match the router config. "IP Configured by" shows as "Manual" as expected. The DHCP server is set to 0.0.0.0 as expected. WINS server is listed as 10.1.1.100. Not sure where this value comes from. Link speed/Duplex is shown as "No Link". On the back of the printer, the ethernet port flashes a very brief green light, and multiple short bursts of the orange light. On the router (an older but working LINKSYS BEFW11S4 v.2), all 3 lights flash for the port for the printer.

Thinking it was the router port or the cable, I connected the printer to the port and cable that I use for my network storage device to elliminate that possiblity. The printer still does not work and my NAS device still works on the printer's old port and cable. So the port and cable are good.

Pinging the Host name (NPI1E0C12) or the ip address does not work.

Since my other connections on my router are 100/Full Duplex, I set the Link Speed values in the printer to match. Only change has been that the Link/Act and 100Mbps lights on my router are now steady, but the Full/Col light indicating there is no Full duplex connection.

At this point, I'm thinking there is a problem with the NIC in the printer and I need to either get HP to replace it, or return it to the store and buy something else.

Any bright ideas on what else may be a problem?

Thanks

Ken

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 2 of 14 (8,649 Views)

Re: LaserJet m1212nf cannot connect wired to network

A few things come to mind.

If you have yet another netwoprk cable I would try it.  Connect it to yet a third port on the router.  The network storage device might be more tollerent to cable issues.

Try unplugging the USB cable when the ethernet is connected.  Shouldn't make a difference, but can't hurt trying.

Check for proper grounding on the printer.  No two to three prong adapters...  I've seen strange isues with missing ground prongs on cords.

if you have another router hanging around try it, just to see if the nettworking lights on the printer come up different.

Do a full reset on the printer (setting the network settings back to default).  Sometimes FW updated leave the printer in a strange state.

That's all I can think of.

It would be good to know what brand and model of router you have.  That might help us get this figures out.

Treefrog

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
GQ Student
Student
GQ
Message 3 of 14 (8,570 Views)

I purchased a brand new m1212nf  from Fry's electronics and was very happy with the products for two whole days.  Then today, the printer disappeared from my home network.   I swapped all cables and routers and now I am convinced that the NIC or ethernet port died.  It has no light at both the printer and the router ends.   I rebooted, unplugged, waited a few minutes, reset to default settings,.. and so on.   Still dead.  

I am returning the printer in the morning.

George

Honor Student
thomas_j
Message 4 of 14 (8,458 Views)

I am having a problem connecting to a wired network too. I spent several hours with a HP tech on the phone trying to figure out what the problem was. As soon as i connected the ethernet cable, the printer went into a "initializing" loop. It would show "ready" for about  5 seconds then initialize again..over and over..and over. The tech finally decided that the network card must be bad, and offered to send me a new unit. I decided to take it back to Staples and exchange it rather than wait. Took the new one out of the box and and the installation went fine....  But, 10 min later it started again. The machine works fine as a USB connect printer. I have changed ports, cables ran diagnostics all to no avail. This is two brand new units, right out of the box, on the same day. Any ideas?

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 5 of 14 (8,450 Views)

This sounds like a compatibility issue to me.

Can you tell me what router (brand, model and firmware version) you have and what other network devices you have?

Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
Honor Student
thomas_j
Message 6 of 14 (8,445 Views)

Thoe router is a Linksys BEFSR41 (Four 10/100 RJ-45 Switched Ports). There are 3 computer (2 dells and an HP) connected. There was a Cannon MFP connected to the network that worked fine for years.  Router standars are IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.1p.

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 7 of 14 (8,388 Views)

I've spent a week trying to come up something to try.  Not sure it you have returned the device or not. 

I do have one way out there thing to try.  Plug the printer power directly into another outlet - I mean one across the room if possible and with no surge protector.  Ocasionally a power problem in the outlet, like a floating ground, will cause odd behaviors in networking.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
CFowler
Message 8 of 14 (8,357 Views)

Did you ever receive a response that pointed to a resolution for this?  I've got two that are having the same issue.  Latest Firmware & Software but as soon as they are connected to the network they get stuck in an initializing loop.  The electrical is a guess along with the compatibility issue (regarding the SOHO router / hub / switch - these are port based communications devices & have nothing to do with printers specifically).

CFowler
www.london.ca
Student
noonesshadow
Message 9 of 14 (8,214 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with endless loop

Router: Dlink DIR-655

Printer: HP LJ 1212nf

Tried different power outlets, tried different LAN ports on router - nothing helps, printer endlessly reboots

Any ideas? Please, help!

Top Student
CFowler
Message 10 of 14 (8,194 Views)

I was wrong in my previous post.  I was certain this issue pointed to a port - IE ethernet over USB.  The issue only happens when we insert the ethernet cable right and the driver - I was assured, was installed and the queue created correctly.  The issue turned out to be driver related.  I had to fight with the server guys like I was some kind of UFC champ but once the original queue was destroyed and the new one created with the correct driver(s), the loop issue disappeared.

As I state, this was a network driver / queue issue in my specific case.  We had two of these doing the same thing.  I updated the firmware on one then fought to have the driver changed and this resolved the issue.  On the second one the fight was easier and I just had the driver updated / changed but did NOT update the firmware.  Ergo it would appear to be entirely driver-driven in my case.

Good luck,

CFowler
www.london.ca
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation