Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet pro 200 color M276nw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Successfully set up the printer. Elected to use Wifi option. Wireless computers are able to print to it no problem. Went to go do my first scan, and it tells me to setup the print to network drive. So i go to do this, and the HP software on the host computer (with USB connection) tells me that it can not setup unless is printer is connected to a network. 

Obviouslly it is connected to a network....

So turned off Wifi. Turned off printer. Wired it to the router. Turned on. And still get the error message. For that matter, can not find in the Printer menu (on printer) where i can "setup" a wired connection. 

I am a computer nerd, but for some reason i gots the dumb today. Some pointers would be appreciated - regarding the printer that is. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Oh. You are saying to add the printer as a network printer rather than USB. Doh. So simple. Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @joe_smoe ,

I see that you are having issues Scanning from the printer's control panel, you are getting a message to setup the printer to a network drive. I would be happy to help you.

I have provided some steps for you to try. I would suggest though, since the printer is already on the wireless network with the other computers, to just create a new port for wireless on the computer that was setup by a USB connection, instead of setting up the Ethernet connection. A Ethernet connection will turn off the Wireless on the printer.

Since you are now connecting the printer to the router by a Ethernet connection, you can print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address. HP LaserJet Pro 200 Color MFP M276n and MFP M276nw - Printing a Configuration Report.

Then you can create a new port for the Ethernet connection.

Then go into Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
Type in the proper IPv4 address for the printer.

Make sure the printer is online.

Test the printer.

Here is a document for how to Scan From the Control Panel (Including Scan to Email, to a PDF, and to a Network Folder) for HP Lase...

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Im just going to keep it wireless.

Now that we have that establish... which port are you referring to to open? What procedure are you referencing to do, to accomplish this setup?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi joe_smoe ,

Thanks for letting me know you are going to use the Wireless settings for the printer. Since it is already installed by a USB connection, you just need to create a new port for the printer to use if for wireless.

Here are the steps from the previous message.

You will have to create a new port on the computer in order for the computer to recognize the printer over the wireless network. You would do this by accessing the Devices and Printers window.

Print the Configuration page to get the printer's IPv4 address which you will need to enter when running the Wizard.

HP LaserJet Pro 200 Color MFP M276n and MFP M276nw - Printing a Configuration Report.

From the Devices and Printers window, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
Type in the proper IPv4 address for the printer.

Make sure the printer is online.

Test the printer.

If you are running into any issues, just run the Add Printer from Devices and Printer to setup the printer.

Hope this helps.

Thank You.
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Oh. You are saying to add the printer as a network printer rather than USB. Doh. So simple. Thanks!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.