Question

Top Student
redwaterjug
Message 1 of 14 (19,735 Views)

Laserjet m175nw connecting to wifi

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to setup an HP Laser jet 100 color MFP M175nw for wifi?

From a Mac running 0SX 10.6.8?

I did the installation from the CD but the "HP setup assistant" says "The selected device (my printer) is not configured, Click continue to configure the device". However when I press continue - nothing happens.

I reinstalled the installation software from the HP support site to check I had the latest version. Same problem.

I installed the latest firmware.

Same problem.

So a) does it matter that the "HP setup assistant" gives that error?

b) is there another way I can set the device up so that it is accessible through Wifi.

By the way, I tried reading the manual but and tried  Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS). But it doesn't seem to work. But if I can't get that working how do I change the SSID and network password on the printer? Can't seem to find anyway to do this.

Many thanks for any guidance at all.

Pete

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 2 of 14 (19,720 Views)

Re: Laserjet m175nw connecting to wifi

Hello redwaterjug,

Sorry to hear you are having such trouble setting up your printer. Here is a link that may assist you:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02677483&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&jump...

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Intern
mikemo
Message 3 of 14 (19,712 Views)

I'm not sure what all you tried but maybe starting from the basics will help....

- At the printer, use the control panel to first enable wireless.  A blue led should now be on (maybe blinking).

- in the control panel select the wireless wizard.

- The wizard should show a listing of wifi networks that it can see, select your network.

- The wizard will prompt you if you have a password on your wireless router.  If so enter that.

- if all goes well, the blue light will be solid.   It may take up to about 30 seconds for the printer to get an iP address.

- On your mac, you can go ahead and print from any app - when prompted to select your printer, select if it shows up in available list or browse for addtional.  You should see it.  Select and the Mac should automatially setup your print queue.

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own.
Top Student
redwaterjug
Message 4 of 14 (19,704 Views)

Sorry, that doesn't really help. The message I am getting "The selected device (my printer) is not configured, Click continue to configure the device" seems to prevent me from doing anything further.

Thanks

Pete

Top Student
redwaterjug
Message 5 of 14 (19,703 Views)

Sorry again, but I can't find any "wireless wizard". I have clicked through all the menus but don't have that option.

Pete

Intern
mikemo
Message 6 of 14 (19,697 Views)

Sorry, my bad.  Your printer has a different printer control panel than I what I thought. 

You may want to check on the HP website for the latest MacOS installer update if you haven't already done so.

OK, so lets try a different approach using the printers embedded web server (EWS).

First, connecting your  printer to your network via an Ethernet cable.  If you don't have an available opening on your existing wireless router, you can even just connect your mac directly to the printer with an ethernet cable (if you do connect this way, you may have to temporarily turn off your MacOS wireless but probably not).

Open Safari on your Mac.  Look at the bookmarks bar that runs across the top and look for an icon that looks like a Book opened up.  Select that.  Once that opens, select the printer menu on the left.   On the right, you should see your printer listed.  Double click that to open the printers EWS.

Select the Networking tab in the EWS, then select the Wireless Configuration menu item under Configuration.  Now select On if not already on and hit the Apply button at bottom right of screen.   It will ask you again if you want to proceed, click on Yes.   The screen will now expand with more options.  It will have a status message that you must unplug the wired ethernet cable for your printer to function on the wireless network.  That is ok for now while you are configuring.  Once you are done, simply unplug the network cable and your printer should be on your wireless network.   You can probably even run the HP printer installer (ignore anything about wireless or usb connect though, simply select as if you had a wired printer (this will keep the installer from 'helping' you reconfigure the wireless network again.)

Now that you are in the EWS with wireless turned on, Select Join an existing wireless network (it usually will default that way).  You should see your wireless router show up in the Network Name (SSID) list below.   Select your wireless router.  If your wireless router has a password, the screen will prompt you for one.  Hit Apply at bottom right of screen.  The status area at top of EWS will show activity.  If all goes well, you most likely will see the same status as before (as opposed to a different error).   Now unplug your ethernet cable.  If you turned off wireless on your mac previously, turn it back on.

Now you can print from an app, the printer should show up as a choice and when selected, will search for a driver and then automatically setup your print queue.  Alternativly, you can go to the MacOS setup and select print&fax.  Select the plus key.  This will bring up a list of printers.  Choose your printer.  It will then try and match the right HP driver.   Acknowledge and you're done.

NOTE:  If you connected a USB cable it's possible that the MacOS automatically set up a print queue.  Once you've configured your printer for wireless, it's a good idea to delete the USB print queue for your printer (do that in the print&fax in setup - it will show usb next to printer (your wireless printer will show Bonjour).   What can happen is that you start printing to your printer and nothing happens because your print job may be going to the USB print queue which is no longer attached.  Either remove that queue or make sure your wireless printer is set as the default printer.

Good luck!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own.
Top Student
redwaterjug
Message 7 of 14 (19,686 Views)

Thank you - that is very helpful. I have the EWS going now and from there a lot more is possible :smileyhappy:

Pete
Student
satp05
Message 8 of 14 (16,463 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your directions. I'm not sure what I did (may have updated HP software using Mac software update), but the printer did show up under Bonjour in bookmarks. Don't know how or why, but she's connected to the wireless network now....

original reply/question: 

I have the same issue. I am replacing an HP D110 which was easy to setup the wireless connection as I just enered the network and password, but now HP have made it difficult to connect to a wireless router. For seting up the wireless connection I can plug in the printer to the router if necessary as I have a free port. I was following the directions above, however when I select "Show All Bookmarks" in Safari (v5 on 10.6), there is no printer menu on the left. I have both 10.6 and 10.7 on my Mac and have checked Safari on both OSs and neither have a printer menu, so I am stuck. As noted by the OP, in HP Setup Assistant, when I select the printer and then 'Continue' nothing happens. I can select the M175nw (which shows USB connection), but the continue button just turns blue for a second and no action is taken.

Student
Joelene
Message 9 of 14 (16,351 Views)

I came upon your post after days of trying to set up wi-fi on my LaserJet 100 color MFP M175nw.  I've tried everything, even followed the instructions on the HP website but nothing seemed to work.  Following your instructions it took me 5 minutes and I am up and running.  Thank you for excellent, easy to follow advice!!! 

Honor Student
unsatisfied132
Message 10 of 14 (15,869 Views)

Can you post a WIndows XP or Windows 7 Equivalent to this please? Having the same issues.... desperately need help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation