Question

Honor Student
pfool21
Message 1 of 15 (948 Views)

Lost Wireless Connections

Problem - Almost every time we try to print, the printer status shows as offline, even though the wireless signal shows green on the printer window..  We have to reboot the modem to re-establish the wireless connection each time.

How can we eliminate the problem?

HP Photosmart Premium All-in-One Printer - C309g   

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 15 (939 Views)

Re: Lost Wireless Connections

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

What operating system are you using?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
prcollins23
Message 3 of 15 (934 Views)

I have same problem.....main culprit is if for some reason, router connection goes down..then when re booting the router, I have to start again to find the router network on the printer.................on another laptop, it then means uninstalling and re-installing - a real pain.....

Peter

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 15 (929 Views)

prcollins23 wrote:

I have same problem.....main culprit is if for some reason, router connection goes down..then when re booting the router, I have to start again to find the router network on the printer.................on another laptop, it then means uninstalling and re-installing - a real pain.....

Peter

In case you have to reconnect the printer to the network, then it should get the same IP address it got before. So the software should be able to reconnect with the printer using the same settings. But if the printer gets a different IP address, then you do no need to uninstall the complete software. Just delete the current printer and scanner icons on your PC, then reinsert the installation disk and click on the 'Add A Device' option from the autorun menu and follow the instructions. This should save you a lot of time.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
GuyD
Message 5 of 15 (920 Views)

How can you claim it will save "a lot of time" to have to re-install the printer every time you try to print?  I've had this problem for almost a year now, and have set a permanent address for the printer, been through Linksys to have them make sure the router is proerly set, and finally gave up and connected the printer (c4795) with the USB cable.  Guerss what - it still disappears after a few days.  I'm really frustrated and wish somebody could come up with a permanent solution. 

Using Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) on an HP s5257c with a Linksys WRT160n router.  My laptop (HP G60) has the same problem.

Is there a real solution or is the only answer continue to reboot or re-install every time I want to print?

Top Student
prcollins23
Message 6 of 15 (917 Views)

Thanks but surely there needs to be an easy  fix so that when the router is turned off and then turned back on, eg holiday etc  - that the connection from printer to network remains 100% ok, without the need to go through the whole routine from scratch??  ....someone menntioned that it could be an IP address issue ?

Peter

Top Student
prcollins23
Message 7 of 15 (916 Views)

Thanks for your support Guy - as only just bought the printer = if it goes down once more then back to the shop with it and change to another wireless model - not HP !!!

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 15 (908 Views)

@GuyD: By saving time, I'm referring to the time saved by not uninstalling and reinstalling the software completely. I do believe that updates have been released to fix this issue. Have you tried running the HP Update program and check for any updates?

@prcollins23: In a normal scenario, the router is the device which assigns the printer with an IP address. So if the printer is not getting an IP address, then I would think that the router is at fault first. Have you tried connecting the printer to another router? Or perhaps updating your router to its latest firmware?

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
prcollins23
Message 9 of 15 (895 Views)

Thanks Dexter - think router 100% ok - just upgraded it and working fine with the laptop...a good IT pal reckoned it maybe because the IP addresses were "too close"...can you translate?

Re updates - agree - I went onto the site yesterday and downloaded the updates....

Lets be optimistic and hope all ok - but - I tend to be nervously peering at the blue wireless light to make sure its firmly on and "not blinking"............await any advices re the IP address ?

Peter

Tutor
GuyD
Message 10 of 15 (887 Views)

Dexter:  This morning I downloaded and tried to install the most recent full printer package.  The USB connection installed, but the software will not convert the USB to the wireless connection.  I get the following error message: 

"The gateway IP address 0.0.0.0 of the printer does not match your router. Reconfigure the setting on your printer to match.' 

How do I reconfigure the printer, and to what?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation