Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I discovered today that there was a new firmware for the M602 released on 9 Jun 2015. I downloaded and applied it to two M602 printers via the web administration interface. After rebooting one printer connected to WJA and worked, and the other continued to have a communication error.

I just spent an hour comparing every singe option and setting between the two printers and I can't find anything different except the printer name and IP address. So frustrating....

HP Recommended

The June 9th updates for all the affected models do not fix the problems in all instances. I am unable to discover why it fails on some and not on others.  It's been suggested that we try to roll the update back to the last version that doesn't break certificates (sometime in Feburary or before?) and do a partial clean, re-establish the connection in Web Jet, then reapply the June updates. 

One can only hope.

It's clear the last two rounds of updates are breaking something with how the printers and scanners identify themselves.  They print after the updates, but Web Jet does not pick them up and other systems may be affected. I can't roll these out where we have 802.1x enabled.  If HP hadn't put out a heightened security alert, this would not be such a problem but they did...

HP Recommended

I was experiencing the same issue on over 80 of our M603s.  I finally located someone very helpful at HP that indicated it was a certificate issue.  They made a change to remove SSL v3 from the web jetadmin communications, so the private self-generated certificate should be using SHA1 or greater rather than MD5, but there appears to still be an issue with that certificate getting generated correctly.

You can tell if you are experiencing the same issue by going to the web page of the server, Network, Authorization, Certificates.  View the certificate and if the Signature Algorith begins with md5 this may be the problem.

To resolve,  go back to Certificates and select Configure.  Select Create New Self-Signed certificate, and then click Finish. 

While this was a manual process and has to be done on each printer, it resolved the issue in every instance.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended
This may have fixed the problem!!!!! I tried giving you a thumbs up but it errored out. This is wonderful if it works! 🙂
HP Recommended

This worked!!!! It makes perfect sense when you think about it, but there was absolutely no way to tell that was the problem.

Thanks for posting the solution! I really appreciate it... this has been driving me nuts!

HP Recommended

I attempted this fix and found that the printer just updated "or didn't at all" to another MD5, any thoughts?

HP Recommended

This solution has worked great for me in almost all cases except for one. I have an M602 with the latest firmware, but when you go to Create New Self-Signed certificate, click Next ... there is no option to pick the RSA Key Length or Signature Algorithm, nor is there a check box for "Mark Private Key as exportable". All you can do is click Finish. The cert is still a md5 afterwards.

HP Recommended

you can check your certificate condition . maybe it is expired and by renewing it your problem will be solved.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the no check back, this was the correct way to get it clear.  Thanks for posting!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.