MAC address (1992 Views)
Top Student
kazzybee
Message 1 of 5 (1,992 Views)
Accepted Solution

MAC address

Can someone please inform me where I find the MAC address on the HP photosmart B209a. It is supposed to be a wireless printer. I have a Netgear wireless router with MAC filtering & need in input the MAC address of the printer. I am aware on other equipment it is on a label on the product or box, but there is nothing of the sort on the printer, just serial No. Please can anyone help before I take it back....Its my 1st HP product & so far I am unimpressed.

Many Thanks from a HP newbie:robotmad:

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 5 (1,989 Views)

Re: MAC address

If you print a Network Configuration Page, it'll show the MAC Address on it. Select Setup from the display, go to Network\Wireless Settings>View Network Settings\Print Network Configuration Page. Another place is to look for a white label on the back of the printer. This should usually list the MAC Address, along with your serial number.

PS: Mac filtering is really not a good way of securing your network. It's not worth the effort to setup Mac Filtering for all the devices on your network. Just make sure that your wireless network has a WPA-PSK encryption with a really strong WPA key, and this should make your network more secure.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
kazzybee
Message 3 of 5 (1,972 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I did actually have a brainwave on the way to bed & remembered I had that paper, on looking I found it. The printer had the label wit the serial no but no sign of the MAC address.

I have now set it up, I have just tried to print a word doc off my laptop, with the default HP printer, now its saying Printer offline & wont print. I have benn upstairs & the printer is on. This is my 1st HP product but the 2nd HP printer I have had problems with, I can feel a return coming on.

Thanks again DexterM:smileymad:

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 5 (1,967 Views)

MAC filtering is just going to cause problems and offers no real security.  Read more here.

Install WPA-PSK with a strong (13+ character) passphrase and be more secure with a more reliable system.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
kazzybee
Message 5 of 5 (1,914 Views)

I am finally up and running havine taken off MAC filtering. Thanks for all your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation