Question

Top Student
Inkjet2010
Message 1 of 7 (3,024 Views)
Accepted Solution

Manually change IP address on 8500 A909g

After the 8500 A909g printer was turned off for a couple of days, the HP Solution Center program on my  Vista 32-bit laptop now shows a 'disconnected' message. The IP address is now 169.254.184.174

Per HP troubleshooting instructions and posts from this forum, pasting this IP address into either IE or Firefox address bar only comes back with 'page not found'. Downloaded and ran HP diagnostic utility but it didn't detect the printer even though I tried several refresh buttons or other buttons in the 'Advanced Tools' screen.

Tried to change to a static IP address for the printer via the printer's front panel (setup -> Network -> Advanced Setup -> IP Settings -> Manual) but ran into a roadblock because I can't successfully change the '184' to a '0' or the '174' to a single digit to sequence with the Dlink router IP address of 192.168.0.1

The Manual IP address reset panel only has number keys and no 'clear' or 'delete' button to get rid of the extra numbers.

I'm not computer literate, so I also don't understand why another desktop tower seems to print just fine with a completely different IP address showing up for the printer, one that doesn't fall into the familiar 4 part format mentioned above.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (2,991 Views)

Re: Manually change IP address on 8500 A909g

169.254.x.x IP address means the printer assigned itself an IP because the router did not give it one.

Let's try again.  From the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Restore Network Defaults.  Now, from the same Network menu run the Wireless Setup Wizard, select your network and enter its password.

Finally, delete the old printer instance in Control Panel > Printers, then:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Choose NO.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Inkjet2010
Message 3 of 7 (2,968 Views)

Thanks for the reply but the Wireless Network Wizard couldn't pick up the SSID name and password even though I checked those items by logging into my router webpage and verifying the settings. So what now? I can't even get past the first step.

At this point, all 3 computers are showing a 'Disconnected' error message when two of them were printing a couple of days ago.

Thank-you for any ideas..

Top Student
Inkjet2010
Message 4 of 7 (2,963 Views)

I was able to create a DHCP reservation IP address on my router and the printer is now working. I'm a little unclear if I also have to go to the HP Embedded Web Server to change the Networking>Connections>Wired>IP Address Configuration to Manual and enter in the IP address/Subnet Mask/Default Gateway numbers printed on the HP Network Configuration Page that I printed out from the printer touch screen menu. Do I also have to then change the DNS Server from Automatic to Manual?

Thanks for any additional help.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 7 (2,956 Views)

No, if you did that from within your router you are good to go.  We suggest doing it from the printer because it is usually easier to describe.  Most people are very uncomfortable messing with their router settings.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Inkjet2010
Message 6 of 7 (2,947 Views)

Thanks very much PrintDoc. This forum is invaluable.

Student
lvanziel
Message 7 of 7 (2,690 Views)

I have the same problem: can't change the IP manually, but I don't have a wireless network, but a wired schoolnetwork. Schoolnetwork support points back to HP. :-(

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation