Multiple problems: OfficeJet Pro 8000 Wireless (17798 Views)
Honor Student
dubois800
Message 1 of 30 (17,798 Views)
Accepted Solution

Multiple problems: OfficeJet Pro 8000 Wireless

We bought an HP OfficeJet Pro Wireless for our two Macs and it's been a nightmare. I've searched help guides and forums and am hoping you can help me fix the problems.

It takes 10 minutes to start up the printer each time. There is a lot whirring and noises coming.

Once it's finally, finally on it always can't print. I then usually have to reinstall the software from the CD using the USB cable and not wireless to get it to work, which it will then do exactly one time before I next need to use the printer, turn it on and have it refuse to print.

I have tried every configuration I can think of to no avail.

Currently I have just turned it on and I have a message saying that the printer is low on ink and cannot print. I have used this printer exactly 5 times and there is no way it's out of ink.

I apologise if I sound petulant, I've just never had such problems with any equipment and am worried we've made a very bad investment. I would truly appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Our set up is:

Mac laptop and desktop, both running Leopard

Wireless connection via BT Homehub router

OfficeJet Pro 8000 Wireless

Thank you very much! -Rachel

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 30 (17,793 Views)

Re: Multiple problems: OfficeJet Pro 8000 Wireless

I understand your frustration.  Here are a few tips:

1. Don't turn your printer off.  If you HAVE to turn it off, don't do it with a power strip or by unplugging the cord.  Your printer will use ink (and quite a bit of it) to start up every time you turn it on.  This is especially true if the printer did not have power during its time powered-off.  You will bleed your ink cartridges dry very quickly this way.  All the whirring you hear is the sound of sucking ink through the nozzles to clean them.

2. Set a static IP address for your printer.  Pick a number outside the range 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.237 that your HomeHub uses to issue dynamic IP addresses.  192.168.1.50 is a nice round number.  Here is how you do it:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- Click the Manual IP button and enter:
192.168.1.50 for the IP address
255.255.255.0 for the subnet
Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Delete and re-add the printer in the print queue:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Select the printer in question and click the minus sign at the bottom of the list
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

If this does not work, do the same thing, only instead of the second step, right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
dubois800
Message 3 of 30 (17,753 Views)

Thank you so much for your help PrintDoc. It's fixed the networking issue it appears, though I'm loathe to turn it off again to find out since I've just replaced the 3 colour cartridges.

I can't understand why it's been designed not to be turned off. Surely we live in more environmentally-friendly times. Certainly we bought this model because it championed it's "Print 50% than a Laser!" all over it. Now we're supposed to keep it on 24/7 though we use it only once a week.

Though it's been several months, I'm going to see if we can return this printer and get a more appropriate model.

Thank you again and will be happy to give you a kudos.

Student
wgasa1
Message 4 of 30 (17,706 Views)

basic problem was that the machine did not come with a duplexer ,  After an hour with india they agreed to replace the printer and are sending a replacement by Fedx except that when I checked they have the wrong zip.  Called back and thought she understood the problem and fixed it.  as of this morning the machine is going to Edgerton Ks.   not Prairie Village Ks. 66207 do you have any suggestions what I do now?

Student
daffy
Message 5 of 30 (17,641 Views)

I have no more hair to tear out.

New Officejet pro 8000 A809n wireless    and windows XP  I Cannot get the networking set-up.

Difficult to cause the blue wireless light to come on. Every time I touch the wireless button I get another printed report. but no blue light. If I keep wirless button pressed it eventually comes on and I get yet another report which says '802.11 Wireless status Disconnected'.

The report does not give or mention an IP address as mentioned in this forum.

I cannot see how to set up any aspect of networking on this printer. I have uninstalled and re-installed 6 times. But can not see any mention of network  set up.

HP technician says I have to alter my router mac address to match the printers....I cannot believe that.

The router is a homehub and has a fixed mac.

If he means SSID then I need to know how to alter the printer to suit the network.

In spite of the blue light being on the report always says '802.11 Wireless Status Disconnected'

I am drowning in printed reports and will have used up all my ink soon...is this an HP strategy ?

--

Dave

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 30 (17,603 Views)

Do not use MAC address filtering.  It is not a security measure and may be the source of your problems.  Read more here.

Remove MAC filtering and secure your wireless network with WPA or WPA2 with a strong password and try again.

I am employed by HP
Student
Tamarbri
Message 7 of 30 (11,559 Views)

Hi,

I have just purchased an Officejet 8000 Pro Wireless printer. (It hasn't been delivered yet). I was a little disturbed when I came across this posting. Does the same thing apply to a USB driven model. I have no wireless network.

Your advice is to leave the printer on even when not required, is this so?

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Student
davidrobhp
Message 8 of 30 (11,071 Views)

Just purchased an OfficeJetPro 8000 A809 yesterday morning.  Installation on my XP desktop went smoothly.  It is a USB connection. 

Installation also went smoothly on a Vista laptop in another room.  The "wireless printer" was detected without any need to connect temporarily to the USB.  

I am having a problem installing the driver software on an XP laptop right next to the Vista laptop.  The installation starts from the CD but gives a fatal error about 25% of the way through, then it does a "recovery", uninstalls, re-boots, and gives me a program on the desktop called "HP installation error - XP.hta" that is really no help.

Everything works except software installation on the XP laptop.  What should I do?  All the diagnostic printouts look good - both the Windows XP Printer Test Page (from both the computers that can drive the printer) and the Network Configuration Page(s).  There is clearly nothing wrong with the wireless network since the Vista laptop works fine. 

Should I uninstall the software that is there for other printers on the XP laptop?  That would be a problem since the laptop is used with the other printers in other locations.   There are no other printers installed on the Vista laptop.   

Student
stoller99
Message 9 of 30 (7,989 Views)

This worked to set up 2 printers on the same wireless network.  However, now the scanning functionality is not working.  The error says "Cannot connect to server.  Check server name and address."  Any ideas how to resolve this?

Honor Student
Path478
Message 10 of 30 (5,322 Views)

I have an OfficeJet Pro 8000 that is NOT wireless.  It has worked for quite some time without problems and is now giving me quite a headache with messages: 'loss of communication to the printer' or 'broken pipe' associated with the printer reinitializing and wasting ink.

I have a MacBook Pro using OS 10.6.8.  The printer is attached via ethernet cable to a router, AirportExtreme with communication to the router via Airport.

I successfully used your instructions of 3/4/10 to give the printer a static IP address, then deleted and readded the printer in the queue. 

This will work for a period of 1-2 weeks.  Once it lost it's static IP address and reverted to a random address.  ?Perhaps due to loss of power?

Currently, the static IP address is there, I restarted the modem and the printer, deleted/readded the printer in the queue, and it will print a few pages before losing communication again.  I am printing from a PDF file.

Has there been a change in Mac OS or AirportExtreme software via updates that creates a problem with the HP printer?  I don't see any updates for the printer.  Will I get more stable performance if the printer is connected directly to the computer rather than the router?  As I said the printer used to be very reliable and now needs weekly and sometimes daily interface management and wastes ink.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation