Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Hard reset? See solution #6.

You should be able to print out the configuration settings via the printer's Wireless Status Menu.  There shouldn't be a set SSID name or IP address after a reset. The 4500 will accept b/g/n bands only at 2.4 ghz.  Pressing the WPS button on the printer should cause a SSID search for up to 2 minutes. Then press the WPS button on the router which should start the SSID broadcast process.  Then follow the instructions of the printer's menu.

The default SSID name for the router is ASUS. Be sure that all three detachable antennas are attached.  One important thing to consider is that the ASUS router has configuration tabs for both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz and both will be required if both frequencies are being used. I suggest separate SSIDs such as ASUS24 for the 2.4 ghz and ASUS50 as 5.0 ghz for recognition purposes. The default for DHCP in the ASUS appears to be disabled so that function also needs to be enabled so that the printer can pick up an IP address.

NOTE:  There are 8 posted firmware updates posted for the ASUS RT-N66U router.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi JohanP,

Thank you so much for your patience. I appreciate any frustration you may feel at this point, and would like to help.

I would also like to thank @sabretooth04  and @Big_Dave  for their detailed posts and guidance through your troubleshooting journey.

After reading each post I have a few thoughts. I would like to first eliminate the printer as the root cause. Please use the following link to update the printer firmware; HP Envy 4500 series firmware update to improve printer performance

This Firmware update improves and fixes the following issues:

• Enabled Scheduled Delivery/Printables
  • Improves Connectivity reliability of your device
  • Fixes miscellaneous minor defects

Once the firmware is update please try running the wireless wizard again. If it still does not see the network, or the firmware was already up to date, we can turn off the printers IPv6 and try the wizard again.

To turn off the IPv6, go to the wireless menu on the printer and navigate to Advanced Settings, then select IPv6 and turn it off. With it off, try the wizard again.

If the issue persists, I want to print a wireless test report to check the status of the printers wireless radio. I find it peculiar that not only is the printer not seeing your new network, it no longer sees the old one either now. To print the wireless report, go to the Print Report menu in the Wireless menu and choose Wireless Test Report.

1. On the report, under Diagnostics Summary, does the ‘Wireless On’ indicate 'PASS' or 'FAIL'?
  2. Does the ‘Wireless Working’ indicate 'PASS' or 'FAIL'?
  3. If step number 1 is 'PASS', step 2 is 'FAIL', then the wireless radio is most likely NOT functioning.
  4. Under the Tools menu on the product control panel, select Restore Factory Defaults .
  5. Run the Wireless Network Test Report again.

Please let me know the outcome of this test.

There are a few other things we can try, but I don't want to get a head of myself. Try what I have suggested so far and keep me posted. Please let me know if there was a firmware update, and also ensure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet and not into a surge protector or power bar before you even begin any of my suggestions. Thanks. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello,

First of all, regarding the firmware update, my PC is runnning on vista so I went to this link instead, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&softwareitem=mp-122996-1. However, I couldn't update it because there was a problem; "The HP Device Update cannot proceed." I followed all the steps it required me to do but it could not update.

Also,  I turned the IPv6 off but no luck when trying the wireless wizard again.

When I tried to print a wireless test report, it simply would not print. It would show "Now printing," take the paper and do nothing from that point on, but if I turned the printer on and off, it would print a blank page on startup. I did however print the network configuration page, (the option below print report), if that helps.

I would return this printer to get a new one to see if it's a hardware problem but I don't have the warranty for it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your continued efforts JohanP.

Speaking of warranty, have you had this printer over a year? HP printers generally have a 1 year warranty from their purchase date, you can verify the warranty using the following link if you would like; warranty check. 

If the printer is in warranty, I suggest calling HP. If you are in Canada or US call 800 474 6836, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

Let me know whether it is in warranty or out. If it is out of warranty I will continue working with you. If it is in warranty and you call HP, let me know the outcome of the call. I will do all I can to help.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I didn't buy the extended warranty. I appreciate the help from you and the other members posting in order to help me solve my connectivity problems, but I think I'll just stick with usb connection. Thank you all for your replies! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello again.  I heard back from other HP folks and if you have your printer running on a USB connection, please upgrade the firmware.

Go here to verify.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-122996-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

What firmware does the printer have right now?

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue with a brand new envy 4500. Simply hangs when looking for any network. Connect via USB and use the utilities to move it to a WiFi connection and it finds no SSID. Changed channel on router etc... but given the printer just hangs when pressing most options tells me it is rooted basically. Probably not a good model and is why they are going cheap becuase they need to move these off the shop floors. Don't mean to rubbish HP, but WiFI si kinda standard protocol so not too hard to get it right if users have the basics like broadcast SSID on and generally ALL other devices connect.

Maybe just recall all these printers rather than sell them cheap and save a lot of people a heap of frustraiton

HP Recommended

anyone got this firmware to upgrade their hp envy 4500's? just got mine.. no wonder they selling it so cheap so many people having problems

i tried upgrading the firmware but same problem.. says ERROR found even though the printer has no error state whatsoever..

connected via USB, not wifi, firmware still won't update/find the printer

HP Recommended

I have a new Rogers router and my hp envy 4500 does not recognize the new network name (only the old one that does not even show in my netwroks on my laptop) there fore will not connect to wifi.

HP Recommended

you are mentioning SSID..what is it? where do I find it. My printer is 3 feet away from router that is working fine with my laptop and other appliances

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.