Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

On a high level, here is how I understand the problem.

SNMP is the network protocol for polling status or sending events. Disabling SNMP stops printer client keep getting that 'OFFLINE' status.

Here is what I did to disable SNMP:

Open your printer queue as you usually see when you print something.

Select 'Printer', then from the dropdown menu, select 'Properties'. From the popup 'Properties' window, select 'Ports' tab. You will see the port you're using checked (for me, it is the 'Standard TCP/IP Port'). Select the port and press the 'Configure Port' button. This will bring up the window for 'Configure Stand TCP/IP Port Monitor'. You should see a checkbox for 'SNMP Status Enable'. If it is checked, just uncheck it.

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

That link is no longer there.  😞

HP Recommended

Hi @TexasTeri

Which link is no longer working? 

Here are a few you might be looking for:

HP Printers - 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)

Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows 8

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Does Not Print: Windows 7

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows Vista

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Does Not Print: Mac OS X

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection

Phone Support

If you were seeking the phone support link, what you can do is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

I hope this helps. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Call me crazy, but this is my second HP OJet Pro, with the same problem. I'm at wits end, tried your fix, but clicking the "Configure Port" button produces an error message in my case.

The ONLY reason I bought the second printer was because we had purchased a ton of ink for it when it died, and had HUNDREDS of $$$ worth of ink for it, which cannot be used for the 8600 printers.... shame on you HP!!!!!!! THIS IS THE LAST HP PRINTER I WILL EVER BUY!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issues with my HP 8500 going off line all the time!  It is very frustrating!  I clicked on the links that is supposed to offer some advice and got an error message:  

404 Page Not Found

So my issue is still unresolved....I will keep looking for resolutions!

HP Recommended

I have been having the same problem on both my Windows 10 and Linux systems for several months now. I have been tracking this thread and it seems like no progress is be made to resolve it by HP.

Here is what I see when this problem occurs:

When the printer goes offline I can ping it from all my systems (both Windows and Linux) but it still shows it as offline on all my systems. IThe only way to fix it I have to power cycle the printer to wake it up but it just goes offline again after a few minutes. This problem started after a HP printer firmware update several months ago to (LRP1FN1621DR).

I have other printer on network that work fine that do not go offline so this has to be an internal problem on this printer. HP needs to address this issue. At this point I can't rely on this printer any more and I can't justify to my upper management to invest in any other HP printers now or in the future. They are pushing to replace all of our existing HP printers with Epson printers.

HP Recommended

These settings are for setting up your wireless (or wired) printer to:

• Stay connected to your router
  • Fix printer ‘offline’ status
  • Wake from sleep mode
  • Keep all wireless devices better connected
  • Makes your router more secure and hack proof
  • May speed up wireless printing

While DHCP is convenient, devices such as printers (wired and wireless) should always be assigned a static (fixed) IP address manually to avoid conflicts on your wireless network and must be outside the DHCP range of the router.  After setting the static IP, the computer must be updated under Printer Properties/Ports to show a Standard TCP/IP port with the printers IP address. 

1. Set a static IP in the printer (click here) outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual). This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this first if needed. More Wireless Printing help is here and here   and even more here.  Video here explains the problem and how to fix the problem. <-- So watch this!
  2. Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep/Energy Saving Mode' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0). Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printer Properties.
  3. If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.
  4. Make sure printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not into a UPS, power strip or surge protector. This will cause the printer to drop offline and disconnect (yes verified!).

Additional steps to be taken if you continue to have the problem (if they are posted)…

1. Wireless printers only work on the 2.4Ghz wireless band not the 5.0Ghz band.
  2. Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.
  3. Check all wireless devices in your home for interference. Check microwaves, baby monitors, wireless phones and wireless alarm systems are a big culprit.  Any of these will knock out your wireless printer intermittently.
  4. Make sure your printer and router are at least 5 feet apart from each other.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information) 

1. Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 
  2. Set router to 20Mhz bandwidth only, or 145Mbps depending on router. 
  3. Always use WPA2-AES (Personal-PSK) encryption, but you can try ‘mixed’ mode. 
  4. Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why, search the web).
  5. If you have a dual band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands including all Guest networks.
  6. SSID broadcast must be enabled.
  7. Always make sure your router is on the latest firmware.
  8. Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins.  Power on router wait 2 mins. 
  9. Power on printer and verify it reconnects to router. 

If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as the Alternate DNS server in the printer.  (Last thing to try in the printer)

Microsoft announced a Windows update to address device discovery ...waking up devices from sleep mode. Update your Windows 10.  However this should be an automatic update by now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147458

If you have Windows 7/8/8.1 is Network Discovery on or off?

1. Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings.
  2. Under Home or Work (current profile) / Network Discovery.
  3. Select "Turn on network discovery" and save changes.

Now the last thing to do once all the above has been tried and you still have the same issue, fully de-install and remove the printer and all its software. 

Use http://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php .  Use Powerful Scan at the end and delete all registry entries shown.

Now go back and reinstall the Full Featured Software and Drivers from the HP web site.

Last ditch effort - If your printer has an Ethernet connection, suggest you get some Power Line Adapters and convert your house wiring to Ethernet for your printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.