Question

Tutor
menggyver
Message 1 of 34 (8,153 Views)
Accepted Solution

My HP4620 printer wirelss connection keeps dropping off.

My HP4620 printer wireless connection keeps dropping off.  I used the WPS push button to established wifi connection.  Tried PIN verson too and same thing, the network connection drop off after a couple of days.  I setup the WPA2 authentication through the web interface, but doesn't seem to do anything.  I have a Verizon Wireless Router model number A90-750015-07.  Any suggesstion is appreciated.  Thanks.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 34 (8,137 Views)

Re: My HP4620 printer wirelss connection keeps dropping off.

Hi menggyver,

How far is the printer from the router?

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor from the link below. Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Tutor
menggyver
Message 3 of 34 (8,124 Views)

Hi,

Ran the Scan Doctor, didn't tell me anything userful.  When the printer is connected, it said that there's no problem found.  When it is not connected, it said that the printer is not on the network.  The printer will drop off from the network after 2 days.  How do prevent it from dropping off the network.  Signal strenght is at 4-5 bars.  Printer is about 20ft from access point.   

Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 34 (8,119 Views)

Hi menggyver,

Make sure the printer has the latest updates. Follow the steps in the document below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03155962

I am an HP employee.

Student
greenterp
Message 5 of 34 (8,100 Views)

My printer does exactly the same thing with both my laptop and my PC.  Incredibly frustrating!!  It sits right next to the router so has full strenglth.  It is a HP photosmart Premium C309a.

I tried to follow your instructions on ensuring the software is up to date but I don't have an e-print button on the printer, so I fell at the first hurdle:smileysad:

Sometimes it will stay connected for days and then other times it will loose the connection a couple of times a day.

The software on my PC is set up to get automatic downloads.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 34 (8,097 Views)

Hi greenterp,

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor from the link below. Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Tutor
menggyver
Message 7 of 34 (8,072 Views)

You can update your printer firmware through the web interface.  When it is connected, get the IP address and use your browser to get to it, eg..http://192.168.x.x.  From there you can do the firmware update. BUT, before you do that, go to the network setting area and configure your wifi connection and give it a static ip address and give it a DNS address (your router address).  You can't do the firmware updte without the DNS address.  This is what did the trick, I think.  Without the DNS address, it will drop off the network every 48hrs (seems like).  My printer has stay connected for a week now.  Good luck.   

Honor Student
aa1113
Message 8 of 34 (7,680 Views)

[ Edited ]

How do you do this?  And where is the firmware link ?  I am having the same problem.  Disconnects twice a day. Thanks. 

Provost
pcwizard
Message 9 of 34 (7,659 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi aa1113,

To run the product update you can open Internet Explorer, and then type the printers IP address in the address bar to access the EWS, and then click on the Web Services tab. Once you are on the Web Services tab you can then select Product update.

Untitled.jpg

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
vegetto
Message 10 of 34 (7,027 Views)

why can't you make an update such that the printer can't go into sleep mode.  if and when i get this thing connected again, it will drop off in 15 minutes when it goes to sleep.  i've had this product for less than a day and now am elbow deep in crap trouble shooting. 

aside from that, do you have anything helpful to say?  the printer is up to date, it is not my router, it is not my modem, it is not my computer, it is not my internet, it IS your printer.   if you have nothing that will help, please tell me...i would be more pissed off if you try to lead me around in circles.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation