My computers say that the printer is offline but the printer says it's online

HP Photosmart 5510d

Mac OS 10.6.8

Computer says: 'Printer is offline' but Printer says 'Wireless on'

Previously worked and connections have remained untouched

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 13 (18,694 Views)

Re: My computers say that the printer is offline but the printer says it's online

Just because the wireless radio is on does not mean that it is connected to your wireless network.  From the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Network Test.  Does it indicate that it is connected to your network?

What router are you using?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Maaaarie
Message 3 of 13 (18,511 Views)

Re: My computers say that the printer is offline but the printer says it's online

I am not the original poster but found this thread when I searched for a solution to my problem. I am using a HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One B210 (a I guess but I don't see a small letter after the B210 on the front of my computer like the directions say). I ran the Wireless Network Test and it indicates that I am connected to the network.

I am using a Netgear ADSL2+ router.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 13 (18,509 Views)

Can you enter the printer's IP address into the address bar of a browser and see the internal settings of the printer?

Download and run this utility: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e17-1&h_keyword=dg-NDU&ju...

What does it say?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Maaaarie
Message 5 of 13 (18,490 Views)

I searched and found another thread where they recommended turning the printer off, waiting, turning it back on and then checking again. It worked! Apparently it's an HP problem that it sometimes does not recognize the connection.

Top Student
MonicaDB
Message 6 of 13 (18,469 Views)

Similar issue here. I recently bought an HP Photosmart 100a which worked just fine for a couple of weeks. As of yesterday, the blue light on the wireless button that is in front od the printer blinks constantly, and it won't print. All print test runs say all is fine, but the wireless is simply not connected. I am not very savvy when it comes to technology, but I am usually able to find my way around. I am going nuts trying to fix this... Any advice you could offer, please??
Honor Student
Maaaarie
Message 7 of 13 (18,422 Views)

Try turning the printer off. Wait for about 30 seconds, turn it back on and then go to the website and "refresh". That's what I did and it said my printer was suddenly online. :smileyhappy:

Top Student
MonicaDB
Message 8 of 13 (18,404 Views)

Working now... Thanks!!

Honor Student
burkhalp
Message 9 of 13 (8,051 Views)

In the set up menu it does say that it is on.  Now what?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 13 (7,956 Views)

Tell me about your computer operating system, your router and what you have tried.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation