Question
My officejet pro 8500 goes offline frequently
Replies (44)

Honor Student
wlrkipp
Message 11 of 45 (11,765 Views)

Re: My officejet pro 8500 goes offline frequently

PrintDoc,

I seem to be having some of the same problems as many people on this forum.  I just purchased the hp 8500 pro wireless printer.  It prints fine when plugged up to the usb cable.  However, the wireless print always stops halfway through a page.  From what I've read on some of these forums, is that it keeps going into sleep mode (or comatose mode).  I have a 2wire router, and AT&T is my ISP.  I've tried taking the phone cable out of the router and retyping in the manual IP Address, but it wasn't letting me change the numbers.  Please let me know what I need to do to fix this problem.  Thanks!!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 12 of 45 (11,761 Views)

Rented routers are trouble, especially 2wire and Actiontec.  They are good for getting PC's onto the Internet and little else.

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

If you want to kill this problem dead, get your own router for $40 and attach it to the 2wire (and shut off the 2wire wireless radio).

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
wlrkipp
Message 13 of 45 (11,753 Views)

How do I "Add a Printer" once I've done all that?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 14 of 45 (11,743 Views)

It depends on your operating system.  What do you use?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Facemyace
Message 15 of 45 (11,640 Views)

Is there a solution to this problem yet?

I have the same problem with 2 officejets 8500 909g wired LAN (same LAN). Installed on SBS 2003 and shared over the network (basic printer driver, printing only).

Printer is offline than online than offline... and so an. At random. Somtimes minutes, somtimes seconds.

disabeld power save mode on the printer --> no luck

reset router --> no luck

static ip adress --> no luck

There are numerous post about this problem but never find a solution.

Please HP, come with a solution for this problem!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 16 of 45 (11,631 Views)

Did you set the IP address outside the DHCP range and leave the DNS and Gateway blank as I outlined above?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Facemyace
Message 17 of 45 (11,611 Views)

I work with DHCP exclusions for the printers based on MAC address. The SBS 2003 server is the DHCP server.

I did not try to leave the gateway and dns fields blank when i set a static IP on the printer. For the gateway i used the IP adress from the router. For the DNS i used the ip adres of the SBS 2003 server.

Wy should i leave this fields blank?

I doesn't matter anyway. I returend the printers and i got my money back.

Honor Student
barhall
Message 18 of 45 (11,582 Views)

I have the same problem as many others.  I "upgraded" to the 8500 from the 7700 which was working fine we just needed to replace the old one.

I have been following this tread and tried many to the solutions offered Static IP address changes and rebooting.

Is there anything else to be done.

I have a hard wired connection

running XP

D-link router

4 machines all the same

2 other printers both HP's,  450C and 9800. shared from other machines.

Do I have totake this back and get something else like Shelley?

rxg Honor Student
Honor Student
rxg
Message 19 of 45 (11,431 Views)

I've spent over 20 hours trying to get things working, both on my own and with the help of tech support. Two things I learned on my own during the process.

1) If you are having issues with scan to email (can not connect) pull up the browser page, go to Networking, IPV4 config, enter the IP address from manual default gateway into the manual DNS server and hit "apply" twice.

2) It looks as if to stop the problem of the printer going offline in XP, on the printer, select tools, preferences, energy mode and turn it off. The screen will continue to turn off but so far I haven't had an issue of the printer going offline.

I still haven't got the firewall in AVG 9 cooperating but I'm willing to live with that issue for now.

Student
ctLow
Message 20 of 45 (10,780 Views)

This is absurd. The printer should just work.

There is a longer thread about this around here somewhere - can't find it now.

Spend an evening, like many others, with tech support, very polite, and we got it working, and then this morning it froze and needed rebooting. It gave an error message about always using the power switch to turn off (but we hadn't touched it). I got about 36 hours of running out of it until this.

It's particularly troublesome because we use encrypted Screen Sharing (Mac OS X 10.6.2) and from miles away cannot tolerate a hardware reset.

This is the latest version of this printer, the Officejet Pro 8500 A910. It's on wireless though an Airport Extreme. At HP's suggestion I turned the wireless router off "automatic channel" and put it on a fixed one. They said if it fails, to try another. That  won't be a sustainable long-term option unless I can find a stable one. I doubt that this will solve the problem.

They said to decrease my wireless router security settings, and with Apple Support we did that (Apple was sceptical that it was required but complied).

HP said to use a clean power supply: no power bars, not even an extension cord. So I did some online testing with the printer in a bathroom. It will not be practical to devote a power outlet just to this one printer. Design hardware for real-lilfe conditions: very basic.

Puzzling side-issues: when I use the printer's "embedded web server" (EWS), the utility from which to make configuration changes (an extension in some ways of the program called "HP Utility"), I can't access any of the pages which lead to a "secure" or "https" site. Sometimes the EWS locks up, and it seemed that then so did the printer (not sure - so many things happening), and more recently i can get back to the Home screen, and the printer still works.

So, the HP guy asked me why I was doing that, and of course I just wanted to check out all of the settings and see what I was missing. For example, I wanted to set a password to the EWS itself. He said to stop that, and mainly that it was for network debuggers ... so why are those links even there? He said it would likely be corrected in a firmware update, but that this version of the printer was very new and these things take a while. Hmm ...

There are a gazillion other little issues. People have sometimes got a new router (in other threads which I now cannot find), and all was well. Other people have tried everything, spent days on this, gone through four printers and had them all fail. I know that can happen, rarely, statistically, by chance, but around the Net there's quite a cry about problems with this printer.

One guy renamed his "Fax" (Mac OS X, "System Preferences", "Print & Fax" pane) to something else, because the "Printer" and "Fax" names come out almost identical, and all was well (as I recall). Since deleting and reinstalling my printer several times (HP Support's idea), the fax has disappeared, although is still working from paper ... haven't tried it from a computer file, nor do I need to (have an Apple fax-modem).

Someone else found that going off wireless and onto a USB cable worked - not very convenient with several computers on the network, plus the wireless should just simply work.

Someone suggested disabling "Energy Saver Mode", which I will try, but then I'm not saving energy.

So, this is absurd. I've only had it a few days and am thinking of returning it to Staples. Clearly we cannot live like this with this printer. I cannot keep calling Tech Support and have them be very nice and patient but then have the printer not work.

All sophisticated hardware that I own locks up once in a while, but not like this. Something seems seriously wrong, and these printers have been out in various incarnations for a while now, which is very odd.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation