Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP Deskjet 2540 printer which is set up to print using USB cable, and i have no problem of printing through it. I have just bought a router (D-link DWR116) and i am trying to set up the wireless connection from the router to my printer. When i use the printer setup & software and select the "convert a USB connected printer to wireless" option, i can either choose to enter the setting manually or for the printer to access the router automatically. Both of these will come up with the same problem where the program finds my router SSID name successfully but then cannot connect to it as the SSID could not be found.

This is the error message it comes up with:

Issue: The network name (SSID) you entered manually could not be found.
Solution: Check that your wireless router is powered on. When manually entering your network name (SSID), make sure you enter it exactly including upper and lower case letters and any spaces.
============================================================================================

Which makes no sense because it came up with the SSID earlier and i just chose what from the options of wireless network available. I have tried to enter the SSID manually, but after entering the password for the router, the same error message pops up.

Please help.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I actually solved the problem. Something about the wifi light on the printer. It can't be blinking, i dont know what the blinking blue light on the wofo of the printer means, but i dont think it means the wifi is on.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello there @arracellice 

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I read about the issues you're facing when trying to connect your printer to your "new" network with your new router. I have three suggestions for you, and please let me know the results when you are done.

• Try power cycling the network devices:

Turn off the printer and computer and unplug the router for 1 minute (do not press any buttons on the router).
Plug the router back in and wait another minute, next turn on the printer and computer, and run the set up again.

• From your PC, perform a Clean Boot, which will turn off the start up programs just in case there is something blocking the installation. Try the USB to wireless set up again.

• Check your router settings to match these recommended settings:

1. Network name and password to have no spaces or punctuation.

2. If using WPA2 security, switch to WPA personal.
3. Dual broadcast Wireless b/g/n (printer may only connect to g).
4. Mac filter needs to be turned off.
5. Firewall settings need to be at there default settings, or set to a lower security.
6. Multicasting "on".
7. Following ports need to be un-blocked:
Incoming (UDP) ports : 137, 138, 161, 427
Outgoing (TCP) ports : 137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500

HappyTuesday.PNG

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I actually solved the problem. Something about the wifi light on the printer. It can't be blinking, i dont know what the blinking blue light on the wofo of the printer means, but i dont think it means the wifi is on.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.