Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I am using a MacBook Air with OS X Yosemite 10.10 connected to an HP Photosmart 6520 series printer. It was all set up and working from all devices and then I got a new router provided by my current provider. The printer is now connected to the router via wireless as are all my devices. However I cannot connect any of my devices to the printer. The printer will print via eprint and the HP eprint app but it will not print via wireless or Airprint!!!!  

From the HP website, I went to their printer trouble-shooting link.  I have tried several recommended fixes including:  1) Turn off the printer, but leave it plugged in; 2) Shut the computer down; 3) Turn off (recycle) the modem/router; then 4) Restart the devices in reverse order beginning with the router.  I also tried changing the channel of the router to 1. I have checked the IP addresses and they are the same apart from the last 2 numbers which I believe is correct. I have also tried uninstalling and re-installing - this failed as my laptop is not picking up the printer and therefore will not reinstall wirelessly. I have tried to connect via a Windows laptop and this is also not detecting the printer. 

Any ideas????

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Rachrlc ,

I see that you are experiencing issues getting the printer working with the new router on the computers. But you can print through ePrint. I would like to help.

Some of the steps you might have done already, but just go with the flow so we can figure this out.

Print a configuration page to get the printer's IPv4 address.
On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon (), and then touch Print Info.

If you have a valid IP address for the printer then try and access the Embedded Web Server for the printer.
Type the IP address into your web browser's address bar. (Safari)

Did it load the web page?

Check the IP address on the computer.

From the Apple Menu, select System Preferences, Network, select your currently active network in the left-pane.

Your IP address will show in the middle corner of the window.

The first 3 sets of numbers have to match the printer's first 3 sets of numbers to be on the same network.

Try and ping the printer.
On the Apple menu bar, click Go, then click Applications, then Network Utilities.

(you can go to the finder and type in Network Utilities)
Click on PING from the bar at the top of the window.
Enter the IPV4 Address of the printer and click Ping.
Did you get any replies back?

Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac:

Close all applications.

On the Apple menu bar, click Go, click Applications and then click Utilities.

Double-click Disk Utility.

Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left.

Click Verify and then Repair Disk Permissions.

Restart the computer..

Reset the Printing System:

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Click the Apple icon and then click System Preferences.

Click Printers & Scanners.

Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left white side panel, then click Reset printing system.

Click OK to confirm the reset.

Type the correct Name and Password.

Click OK to reset the printing system.

Then click the + sign to add the driver, highlight the printer. (you might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name) Then click on the Add button.

If you are having network issues, then add the printer through the IP Protocal.

After clicking the + button, select the IP icon across the top, type in the printer's IP address, select jet direct below and then Apply. (you won't be able to scan but you will be able to print, this way we will know if it is a Multicasting issue, if the Mac sees the printer)

If the Multicasting is turned off on the router, you won't be able to add the printer as a bonjour device.

Test the printer.

What do you have setup for your network? (Router, 2 Routers, Airport)

Please provide in detail the results if you are still having issues.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thanks for your help. Here are my results:

IP address of printer = 192.168.1.9

When typed into Safari the web page did load.

IP address on the computer = 192.168.1.10

Ping the printer = 10 packets transmitted and 10 received

I repaired the Disk Permissions on the Mac then Restarted the computer..

I also Reset the Printing System and then added my printer using the IP protocol as the printer did not show up. 

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

I can now print from my Macbook Air but not from my iPhone or iPad through AirPrint.

My network is just a home setup - one router

Can you help further. I have had it all set up and working for Airprint prior to getting a new router. I might have also upgraded to OS X Yosemite around the same time. I cannot remember if I printed after the update to Yosemite before I got the new router though.

HP Recommended

Hi Rachrlc ,

Thanks for providing that information.

Most likely Multicasting is turned off on the router, since your not able to add the printer as a bonjour device and the other devices won't recognize the printer. Just call the router company and have them turn it on.

Then go back in and delete the printer from Printers and Scanners and add the printer back in as a Bonjour printer.

Let me know the results.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Apologies for the delay in replying!

I have contacted my router company and they say that Multicasting is turned on and always has been. They have checked the broadband etc and say there are no problems and as they do not support printers then they will not help any further.

Recently I have not been able to print at all. Whenever I try to print it says that the printer is not responding. I am still using the IP address to print and I cannot use Airprint from any of my Apple devices.

The printer is still registering as being connected to the Wifi and the signal strength is full!

After trying some of the things suggested in your first reply....I cannot access the printers IP address page? Can the printer have changed IP address? It is now showing as 192.168.223.1

This is becoming quite frustrating as I have a printer that I cannot use!

Any advice?

Thanks

Rachel

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know that information Rachrlc.

Yes the router can reassign the printer a new IP address. I would suggest to setup a Static IP for the printer, this way the router will always assign the printer the same IP address.

I have provided a document for setting up the Static IP. Please go to Solution two: Assign the printer a static IP address.

HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 6520 e-All-in-One and HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer Series - Prin...

You will have to delete the old printer entry from Printers and Scanners and add the printer in again.

Let me know if you are able to print.

Here is a document for troubleshooting printing issues from mobile devices. Please disregard the title. HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 6520 e-All-in-One and HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer Series - Appl... Try printing now.

Are you able to see the printer from the mobile devices or just not able to print?

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the Thumbs up button below.

Thank You. I look forward to hearing from you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help! I can now print by adding the printer under an IP address and I have created a static IP address. 

As for using Air Print from my Apple devices - this is still not working (I initially had it working when I first bought the printer and before I started printing problems). 

When I try to print the 'printer options' screen appears. I then click on slect printer as it no longer appears by itself.  It looks for printer and then the message 'No AirPrint Printers Found' appears!

I have made the checks regarding IP addresses and connections to the same network etc but they have not worked. The link suggested before was for: When you try to print from your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch to your HP printer using Apple AirPrint, your Apple mobile device shows that the print job is printing, but the print job does not print.

As stated before... I cannot see find the printer on my devices let alone send it to print. 😞

Anymore ideas? I don't understand how it can be working fine one moment and now I have all of these issues....

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know Rachrlc.

Here is a  document for the Airprint printer not being recognized. Go to the section for What if a 'No AirPrint Printers Found' message displays on my Apple device? 

HP AirPrint-Compatible Wireless Printers - Printing Over a Wireless Network with Apple's AirPrint FA...

If you are still having issues, restart the printer, turn the mobile device off and on again. Then on the mobile device turn off the wireless and then turn it back on connecting to the correct network.

Please keep me posted. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.