My printer won't recognize my wireless network (2077 Views)
Top Student
eskelly2
Message 1 of 10 (2,077 Views)

My printer won't recognize my wireless network

I'm running Vista Home (64-bit), and I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909g printer, which I've been using wirelessly.  My router is a Westell VersaLink Model 327A.

A few weeks ago, the printer stopped printing, but no printer errors show up on my computer (a few weeks before this, it stopped scannin directly to my computer).  I tried running the HP Print and Scan Doctor, which didn't identify any problems.  I decided to try and re-install the printer driver.

When I ran the installer, it couldn't find the printer on the network.  I went to run the network wizard, and the printer wouldn't recognize my network (but it identified multiple networks belonging to my neighbors) .  I tried inputing the network info manually, but it still wouldn't recognize the network.

We've been having other problems with our router lately, so I'm contemplating buying a new router anyway.

Any thoughts/suggestions, HP community?

PhD Student
Wixma
Message 2 of 10 (2,063 Views)

Re: My printer won't recognize my wireless network

Hello eskelly2.

Try restoring the network settings to factory defaults from the printer's control panel menu.

Setup - Network - Restore Network Defaults.

Cheers!

Wixma.
I am an HP employee.
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos star in the post.
If my reply resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution so that it can be found easier by other people.
Top Student
eskelly2
Message 3 of 10 (2,053 Views)

Thanks, Wixma - but I already tried that, and it didn't correct the problem.  (My apologies, I should have mentioned that in my post yesterday.)  Any other suggestions?

PhD Student
Wixma
Message 4 of 10 (2,052 Views)

Hello eskelly2.

Try checking the wireless channel that the router is using and let us know.

Cheers!!

Wixma.
I am an HP employee.
If my reply resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution so that it can be found easier by other people.
Top Student
eskelly2
Message 5 of 10 (2,051 Views)

Wixma,

I'm not sure how to check that - is it on the back of the router?  Sorry!

I will check it when I get home from work tonight.

thanks!!!

Distinguished Professor
sabretooth04
Message 6 of 10 (2,049 Views)

eskelly2 wrote:

Wixma,

I'm not sure how to check that - is it on the back of the router?  Sorry!

I will check it when I get home from work tonight.

thanks!!!

You will have to access your routers admin pages and find the wireless tab to check your wireless settings.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I used to work for HP, but now I'm retired.
Top Student
eskelly2
Message 7 of 10 (2,047 Views)

Thanks, sabretooth!  very helpful.  I found instructions on the Verizon website.  I'll check when I get home (in about 6-7 hrs) and will post what I find.

Top Student
eskelly2
Message 8 of 10 (2,035 Views)

Wixma,

I'm on channel 6.

PhD Student
Wixma
Message 9 of 10 (2,016 Views)

Hello eskelly2.

If your router is using channel 6, then the printer should see it and be able to connect to it. While your printer can see the wireless networks in the neighbourhood, we can discard your printer having wireless network issues.

1. Is your computer also connected to the same wireless network? I guess so, but I need to discard the router issue.

It could be as well that your router is set to be using only the 5GHz frequency instead 2.4GHz, which is not compatible with the printer. You can see this as well in the router's configuration pages, along with the channel most of times.

This is not very common but could be a reason why your printer does not see the wireless network.

2. Do you have a network cable plugged to the printer? This would disable the wireless card on the printer, and then your printer will not see other wireless networks, which you told me it does, but I need to be sure.

Cheers!

Wixma.
I am an HP employee.
Top Student
eskelly2
Message 10 of 10 (2,007 Views)

Hi, Wixma!

Yes, my computer is connected to the same network, as is my husband's laptop and our XBox.  I would have to check on the frequency when I get home, but I don't think that's the issue - the printer was connecting to the wireless network without a problem for about a year before this issue came up.  I wouldn't expect the frequency to change all of a sudden - could/would it?

And no, there are no network cables plugged into the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation