Question

Honor Student
minminmin
Message 1 of 11 (6,781 Views)

Need help for HP Officejet 6500 Wireless

Hi there!

My problem is I couldnt connect my wireless printer to my laptop. It shows me an error of Error #201 VSA and I have no idea what is it about and how do I go about configuring it. Can any one help? Thanks in advance!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 11 (6,767 Views)

Re: Need help for HP Officejet 6500 Wireless

That error means that the printer cannot find your wireless network (I searched for it on this forum).

I need a lot more information from you to help:

What router are you trying to connect to?  Is it configured specially, like not broadcasting its SSID (name) or has MAC filtering in place?  What kind of ISP and encryption do you use?

What (Windows) operating system is this?  Is this during installation or has the printer been working for a while?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
minminmin
Message 3 of 11 (6,751 Views)

Hi, thanks for replying! I'm abit lost about the info you need from me but I will give my best on what I can share. My router is D-link. Window Vista, WEP. The printer is newly bought yesterday.

"Is it configured specially, like not broadcasting its SSID (name) or has MAC filtering in place?  What kind of ISP and encryption do you use?" - I dont get this part haha do advice :smileyhappy:

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 11 (6,730 Views)

OK, great start!  Please tell me the model number of your router.

Did someone set up your router for you?  

Are you comfortable in changing some settings on your router if I coach you through it?  I would like to change your encryption type (WEP) to something more secure, easier to work with and more reliable (WPA).

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
idountknow
Message 5 of 11 (6,068 Views)

This may sound simple enough, but in entering the wep key, how do enter a number.  there is symbols and letters, but i have tried everyway i could think of to enter a number.  My printer found my router and all and am am stuck at the wep key entry.  We are using a 10  number for the key.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 11 (6,053 Views)

Lets say you want to enter the number '2'. Keep pressing the number 2 button. It will cycle through all the options for that button, ie A, B, C, a, b, c, and then 2. You can do the same for the other buttons. Alternately, you can start the wireless setup for the printer on your PC and type the passphrase on your PC. Start the software installation, then select the connection type as Wireless. You'll come to a prompt asking you if the printer is already connected to the network. Select 'No(or not sure)' and click next. You'll be prompted to connect the USB cable to the PC and the printer. Once this is done, you'll be able to select your wireless network\SSID, and then type the passphrase.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
idountknow
Message 7 of 11 (6,038 Views)

Thanks Dexter,  I guess I should have tried that.  I had also opened up the control panel that HP provides with that printer software, but at that time it said it wasnt tured on.  This I fixed after the fact, but didnt go back to the control panel on the computer.  I guess after working with my friend for over 3 hours, I was getting a little rummy.  Well another trip is in the works to get this all up and running.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 11 (6,024 Views)

Post back here if you need any more help.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
althom49
Message 9 of 11 (1,922 Views)

hp officejet6500 wireless - when i try to scan, display on printer - "no scan option" 

its an all in one with scan button, why, does it state that??

Student
ginnyp137
Message 10 of 11 (924 Views)

My DLink was set up as a WPA and my HP 6500A could not connect to the network, so an HP support person changed my modem to WEP and the printer worked fine but now my Radio Thermostat cannot find the wireless.  It NEEDS WPA.  So does the HP6500A actually support WPA?  If I change the wireless back to WPA, I will have to change my DISH Hopper and Joey's also.  This is getting complicated.  I don't even know what WEP, WPA, etc are...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation