Network Printer Won't Print from Internet (1974 Views)
Intern
dustnik3
Message 1 of 21 (1,974 Views)

Network Printer Won't Print from Internet

I have an Officejet J4680 all-in-one working off an HP Pavillion dv6-t 1100 Entertainment Notebook PC. They are both part on a MiFi2200 mobile hotspot wireless network from Verizon. Printing from the internet (I use IE 9) has always been a bit of a crap shoot, but since installing the new MiFi device, it doesn't seem to work at all. The printer icon comes up in the notification area showing that there is a document to be printed, but it doesn't print. The troubleshooter says the printer is working properly, and I can successfully print a test page, but when I try to print a page from the internet -- nothing.  I downloaded and ran the HP Print Diagnostic Utility. The results for both the printer (not as a network device) and scanner were perfect, but when I ran the scan for the printer as a network device, it failed the connectivity test. The test didn't continue after that, so I have no further information. I have tried uninstalling, turning the printer off and on, restarting the computer, and reinstalling with no luck. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, have you found a solution?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 21 (1,948 Views)

Re: Network Printer Won't Print from Internet

From the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Network Test.  Does the printer have a proper IP address (not 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.X.X)?

What operating system do you use?

I am employed by HP
Intern
dustnik3
Message 3 of 21 (1,939 Views)

I looked but I couldn't find a network test button on the menu. Under the wireless menu, the choices are: Setup Wizard, Manual Setup, Wireless On/Off, IP Settings, and Reset Wireless. My IP address is 192.168.1.4. I have Windows 7.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 21 (1,936 Views)

OK, it looks like the printer is connected to the router properly, so the problem is within you PC.  If your Win7 is 64-bit, download and install this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&softwareitem=mp-89191-1

I am employed by HP
Intern
dustnik3
Message 5 of 21 (1,927 Views)

I downloaded the fix and ran it only to receive the message which said, "This update does not support any of the HP device drivers that you have on your PC. You do not need this software update."

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 21 (1,916 Views)

Uggh,

Does it print from other programs OK?

I am employed by HP
Intern
dustnik3
Message 7 of 21 (1,900 Views)

It always seems to work with Word. Some webpages seem to work most of the time, but some NEVER will print out for me. Some of these pages I really need to print out too. It's so frustrating, and I've spent so much time uninstalling and reinstalling the printer to no avail. I don't understand what could possibly be going on. It must have something to do with the connectivity issue when the printeris  used as a network device, as that's where it fails the test.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 21 (1,898 Views)

If it is only a problem printing from IE 9, and nothing else, that indicates there is a problem with your browser.  Have you done Windows Update over and over until there are no more?

I am employed by HP
Intern
dustnik3
Message 9 of 21 (1,881 Views)

I have all the updates from Microsoft Updates installed. I also tried printing from Chrome with no better result, so it's not an IE problem either. Some webpages print fine, others simply won't print at all. I wonder if it has anything to do with an HP program like Smart Web Printing. Could that be?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 21 (1,878 Views)

I was just about to ask about Smart Web Printing.  It does not yet support IE9.  Can you remove it?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation