Question

Intern
Hfefloors
Message 1 of 3 (1,458 Views)

Network scanning with the L7580

Guys, the software is junk.  I have this printer working on my linux system using 3rd party software.  It scans, prints, faxes and actually works like it's supposed to.

On Windows XP, it does not work.assid from just printing.

I am talking network here not USB.  So, if there are any HP programmers looking at this, please make some adjustments.  Why can the Linux guys make it work and the Windows guys fall short?  That's going to cut into your market share dudes.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 3 (1,516 Views)

Re: Network scanning with the L7580

The most common reason for Windows SW driver problems with networked printers is due to 3rd party PC firewalls (Zonealarm, MacAfee, Norton/Symantec, Trend Mirco, etc) and anti-virus programs interfering with the driver.

Mac users typically have a great experience with our networked printers since the security SW is built into the OS and there are not many 3rd party firewalls sold for the Mac.

Same goes for the Linux users; I was quite pleased to see how easy it was to install my wireless HP printer using Ubuntu 8.10.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Intern
Hfefloors
Message 3 of 3 (1,428 Views)

Re: Network scanning with the L7580

I was really impressed with how it intalled on Fedora 10.  I did have an issue with Selinux blocking it.  On my XP machine, I'm only running Avast anti-virus.  I have a hardware firewall.  I do run Windows built in firewall.  That said, these these are very basic.  HP, by now, should know of these issues.  Sure would be nice if they would fix them before these printers are obsolete.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation