Question

Student
lhoffman3
Message 1 of 2 (527 Views)

Networking a Laserjet 4 plus

I am using a Laserjet 4+ with an internal JetDirect J2550A, firmware A.03.16. I am trying to run ethernet between the printer and my broadband/wireless router. I cannot figure out how to get the network to recognize the printer. I've checked the cable and the port light on the router is on. After a cold reset with the printer, the self test page shows that BootP is on, TCP/IP status says "BootP/RARP in progress," the host name is unspecified, and IP/gateway are 0.0.0.0. 

From here, I turn BootP off and try to enter the IP address manually from the control panel. I have tried to assign a high static IP, e.g. 192.168.1.200, but the printer rejects it (TCP/IP status reads, "Invalid IP address."). I have gotten it to accept 192.0.0.192, but I left the default gateway 0.0.0.0 (the router address is 192.168.1.254). This doesn't get me any closer, though. Pings to 192.0.0.192 time out, and nothing is found when the Network Wizard looks on the network for a printer.

I'm stuck, and I'd really appreciate some help.

Professor
Daniel_L
Message 2 of 2 (483 Views)

Re: Networking a Laserjet 4 plus

The product you have seems to be a commercial printer. For the best chance at finding a solution I would suggest posting in the forum for HP Business Support!

You may find the Commercial Laserjet board here.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/bd-p/bsc-413

Hope this helps!

Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation