Question

Honor Student
DMB2012
Message 1 of 5 (1,783 Views)

New Wireless Network; printer won't connect

I have an HP Deskjet 6988 and Windows 7.  I just moved to a new house and have a new wireless network, and therefore need to connect my printer to the new network.  I've followed the steps I've found online to connect the printer to wireless network, namely:

1)  Printing out a test page from the printer that lists the IP address

2)  Typing the IP address into the web browswer while the computer and printer are connected with an ethernet cable

3)  Going to the "networking" tab

4)  Clicking "wirelss" under connections tab

5)  Following the instructions from the connection wizard.  I always receive the message that says everything should be connected. 

The problem:

When I unplug the ethernet cable, the green ethernet icon on the printer flashes repeatedly, while the blue wireless icon lights up as well.  When I click on "network info" under the home and information tabs, the page says that the wireless network is enabled, but not connected.  I cannot figure out how to fully connect the printer to the wireless network because I've followed all the steps and it's not working.  Please help!

Also I can't use the easy secure option because my router doesn't have the required button. 

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 5 (1,744 Views)

Re: New Wireless Network; printer won't connect

[ Edited ]

The steps taken appear to be correct.  However, there is one additional step that may help.  Since the printer was on a network and now there is a new network, clearing the printer settings can help. 

Page 42 of the manual has the following reset steps listed:

1. Verify that the printer is powered on.
2. Press and hold down the Report Page button.
3. While holding down the Report Page button, press the Cancel button three times.
4. Release the Report Page button.

These steps will return the printer to default settings and clear any network settings that may be hidden in the history of the printer.  

Wireless radio will be disabled after these steps, but it can be turned on with the following steps from page 36 of the manual:

Follow these steps to turn on the wireless radio:
1. Verify the printer is powered on and idle.
2. Open the top cover of the printer.
3. Press the SES button twice (two presses within 3 seconds). The wireless radio (and
the Wireless Status light) will turn on and stay on.
4. Close the top cover.

Also, the printer is not listed as supporting Wireless N.  More than likely, the new router has Wireless N functionality.  It may be best to set the network to Wireless G.  

What brand/model is the router?  

You may need to contact the router provider to find out how to switch it to Wireless G only.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
DMB2012
Message 3 of 5 (1,732 Views)

Thanks.  I tried it but I am still getting the same message on the network page--configured, but not connected.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 5 (1,716 Views)

[ Edited ]

It sounds like the new router has some features enabled that the printer does not support.

By default, most routers use a mixed mode.  Try using Wireless G only.  The printer supports Wireless B and Wireless G.  While Wireless G and N use the same frequency, Wireless N can still be an issue since it uses slightly different protocols and hardware to manage connections.  

Depending on the new router, it could be using WPA2 (a newer protocol).  Most new routers come with WPA2 set as default.  Check the router settings to see if it is using WPA2.  If it is, change it to WPA.  If you do end up changing the security protocol, keep in mind that you may need to reconnect your other devices as most networks are seen as a new network when the encryption protocol is changed despite everything else staying the same.

Try using wireless channel 1 and 11.  It is possible the new router is operating on a frequency that has just enough interference to cause some connection issues.

The above settings should help create the best network environment for the printer.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
Emi133
Message 5 of 5 (777 Views)

I am having the same issues. We just moved and I can't connect now either. I have tried the above and still get the message on my printer...WPS time out.
I have a HP desk jet 3050 and my router is Netgear N600 wireless dual band router.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation