No Computer Connection with Officejet 6500 E709n (3664 Views)
Honor Student
kheninger
Message 1 of 4 (3,664 Views)

No Computer Connection with Officejet 6500 E709n

For over a year now I have not had any problems with my 6500 E709n .  I am running an iMac with the OS X 7.2.  I was working with the OS X 5, but upgraded to snow leopard and then to lion.  For some strange reason my printer tells me that it is offline whenever I try to print something wirelessly.  However, if I turn the printer completely off and then turn it back on again it will print what is in the que  I have noticed that there is a printer supply level document that is always before the document that I am trying to print, however when I turn the printer off and then back on that "document" disapears and the one that I had sent to the printer starts to print.  There is an error message on the printer that says there is no computer connection.  I have uninstalled the printer, and then installed it again through updates in apple software.  I also Installed the (bonjour) version of the printer and still have the problem.   When I connect via USB I do not have any of these issues.  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (3,643 Views)

Re: No Computer Connection with Officejet 6500 E709n

Do you have any HP software in your Applications folder?  If so, do you know if it was meant for OS X 10.7 specifically?

What router are you using?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
kheninger
Message 3 of 4 (3,640 Views)

When I uninstalled the software it apparantely did not come back when I installed the updates.  So no there is not an HP application in the apps folder

I am also using a ZyXel PK5000Z router

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 4 (3,639 Views)

First, update your Mac's HP software here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

This could be your router's inability to wake the printer for whatever reason.  Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can find the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page or in its manual. Use the CD that came with your router or type the router's IP address (ends in .1) into a browser.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Finally, let's reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Fax
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation